Getting down deep - dipseys and conventional weights Getting down deep - dipseys and conventional weights Getting down deep - dipseys and conventional weights Getting down deep - dipseys and conventional weights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ah, so you go out on Ontario for the kings. I like to eat the fish I catch so have been restricting my outtings to Erie, where I am told there are some coho and the odd chinook, but widely dispersed. Thanks for the invite! I may take you up on it.

Nick

Default dipseys vs down riggers

This time of year (late summer) both work. I'm catching equal amounts of fish on big dipseys and down riggers 50 to 65 feet down on 8 pound balls.
    I run 2 down riggers behind the boat and 2 big dipseys set on 3 to get separation. You don't need braid. I run 20 pound mono on my dipseys and hardly ever lose a fish. I like the mono because you can still use the same rod on planer boards and still get it to release. Spider wire tends to slip in releases.
    Lead core also works very well but you need to add snap weights when the fish are really deep. I caught a 9 pound walleye Saturday on down rigger with large northern king spoon at 2.25 MPH looking for steelhead. Rigger was 62 feet down.
    When I raised it to 50 feet to match a mark on the graph, the fish hit it hard.
    I'm not fishing boards at all until the water cools down. I have a sub troll and the water is 75 degrees all the way to the bottom in front of Dunkirk in 100 feet of water.