Trolling tactics Trolling tactics Trolling tactics Trolling tactics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trolling tactics

So, I'm primarily a drifter however looking to pick up trolling more this upcoming season. My question is what is the best book or app, etc, to learn the tricks of the trade. Used to troll a bit back in the 80s and early 90s but I know that tactics have changed immensely. Back in the day we flatlined alot using big boards with flatfish, wiggle warts, etc. Towards the end of last season I purchased offshore inline boards, different clips for them, new line counters rods, reef runners , bandits, the list goes on as we all know. I would like to learn dive curves, but not sure what book to purchase. Saw one online that was like 200 dollars. That seems a bit steep. Or maybe I'm just getting tight. Lol. Anyhow any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Down load the Precision Trolling app then it's only 1.99 per lure for depth charts.

I'd suggest you either take a charter, or fish with some one who run inline boards. You will learn more in one day than experimenting on your own trying to understand all the little fine points of setting and running baits with boards. I sent you a PM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D. Eyes View Post
    So, I'm primarily a drifter however looking to pick up trolling more this upcoming season. My question is what is the best book or app, etc, to learn the tricks of the trade. Used to troll a bit back in the 80s and early 90s but I know that tactics have changed immensely. Back in the day we flatlined alot using big boards with flatfish, wiggle warts, etc. Towards the end of last season I purchased offshore inline boards, different clips for them, new line counters rods, reef runners , bandits, the list goes on as we all know. I would like to learn dive curves, but not sure what book to purchase. Saw one online that was like 200 dollars. That seems a bit steep. Or maybe I'm just getting tight. Lol. Anyhow any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
    try SKIPPER 9 he's always willing to answer any questions and is very knowledgeable

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D. Eyes View Post
    but not sure what book to purchase. Saw one online that was like 200 dollars. That seems a bit steep.
    It's ridiculously steep! They were originally 25-30.00 new.

The reason those books are going for those prices is, because those books are no longer in print production, and people selling them are taking advantage of folks who do not have a smartphone. If you have a smartphone, just download the "PTD" app (Precision Trolling Data) for iPhone or Android.

The app is free, but the individual lures are bought for a couple bucks each.

Or, you can do like some of us have, and buy the "Lifetime" PTD app. It was 99.00, but it gives you ALL the lures they have data on, and you get the new lures and updates as they are added, for free, for life.

A trolling book that is good reading, and will help you a lot, is a book by Capt. Ross Robertson (many other professionals contributed to the content too). You can find it here: http://bigwaterfishing.com/shop/

But, the fastest learning curve would be to take a charter with someone that runs the Off Shore boards, who can show you how to run them most effectively.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

I see the depths in the precision trolling app are based on 10# mono. How does that compare to 30# braid

mad eyes, yes Juls or any other charter that run the inline boards.I have a couple of dive curve/charts that I have copied and carry with me when we troll.I have just filled in the bandit lure on the chart I've been using.The problem with the dive curve and the precission trolling app,they give the depths of the lures running with a specific diameter/test line running at a specific speed in mph.That info will only give you a general idea of how deep the lures are really running since you will not have the same line diameter or running the exact speed the chart is giving you.The way to find out what is catching fish that day is to stagger the depth of your lures when starting out to cover the water column.When you get a fish or two,remember/record the lead/length you caught on and start putting other lures at the same depth.Another way find out depth active fish are biting at is to make turns or drive in an S direction.The inside of a turn slows down the lures.If running crankbaits that float,slowing down will cause them to rise/get shallower.If running worm harness with weights,slowing down will cause them to sink/get deeper.The opposite happens to outside lures in a turn.They speed up.So not what happens is catching on a turn to find out a good depth to catch.There are a lot of things to learn to become a more productive fisherman.Learning how to troll better will take years,but you will get better each year.Going with someone else that is really experienced will shorten that learning curve though.I have also found I have learned alot just reading these forums here and on ohio game and fish.

Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    I see the depths in the precision trolling app are based on 10# mono. How does that compare to 30# braid

30lb Power Pro is advertised at 0.011" thickness. Berkley Trilene Big Game 10lb mono is advertsed at 0.012in., but 30lb Berkley fireline has an advertised Diameter of 0.015in.
    I will probably get beat up for this next statement but here goes. On the Western Basin the deepest adverage depth is about 30 ft. Taking that depth into consideration the fish that you will be targeting will be some where between the bottom and the surface, with targeting the fish with the bait between 1 to 5 ft above the fish I don't think line diameter makes a whole lot of difference. So if using 30lb braid you may be a couple of inches deeper than the dive chart for Mono and a couple of inches higher with the Fireline and that would be at the maximum depth listed on the chart. But does that really make that much difference. The point is if you target the fish as they should be and have your baits above them within that target zone of 1 to 5 feet then you should be ok. I always opt for a the middle depth and try to get about 3ft above the fish. I am saying you would be safe to use the dive chart provided so long as you maintain the speed that it was calculated at. There are 2 things that you must remember and that is (1.) Don't over think the line diameter thing. Speed will have more to do with depth error than line diameter (2.) Don't give walleyes to much credit for being smart, they are only capable of following their basic instincts.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks capt juls, exactly what I needed to know, I'll probably invest in the lifetime. I checked the app out last night and noticed they wanted me to ok the use of my phone for videos, pictures and files. That steered me away instantaneously but I take it that it's normal for some apps when installed will require that? Am I correct?