Line questions Line questions Line questions Line questions
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Line questions

I used maxima 15lb green for 3 years and did great with it. I troll mostly cranks and like to have a little stretch for both in-line boards and lures when the wind is up. I did buy a very well priced bulk spool of maxima 12 so that will be next to try. I am a little hesitant because I use snap weights often so I know it gets pinched at the point 20’ back. I usually cut off 20’ every couple months. I also try not to clip line deep in the snaps I try to keep it on the pads. I am respoolong this year and I do I use power pro backing to save some replacement cost.

I've had good success with both mono and braid but for pulling inline boards I vote mono all the way. Mono with a soft rod keeps the board in the water and tracking so much better. For big boards, you can use either but I lean towards braid. I am a big PowerPro fan for braid and had good experiences using Suffix Elite for mono. Used Big Game for several years...it's cheap and found about anywhere. Works well but it does seem to have more memory than a lot of other mono lines.
    Eriegardless Sportfishing

Offering charters for up to 6 people on a 28' Carolina Classic and 1-3 person charters on a 2021 Starcraft Fishmaster

419-702-0589

Eriegardless Sportfishing - Website
    Eriegardless Sportfishing - Facebook
    Eriegardless Custom Lures

The concensus on line material is braid for big boards and mono for in line boards.We use the green Maxima 15lb mono for our in line and has worked well for us.Been using past 2 seasons without a break or a board coming off.Blue Dolphin recommended Maxima and the diameter of the 15lb is real close to diameter used in the dive charts.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    Way to many other factors that aid/take away from the "guide".
    Yes you can get a bit more depth from braid due to it's thin size and no stretch.
    Attachment 4948
    So awesome to finally hear someone else say this!!! Way too many factors affect what depth you're actually achieving.... Use these guides as a starting point, but see where you are actually hooking up with fish. Every one of my rods has a tag on it, i write the lead on each one with a dry-erase marker... As we start catching, I'm tracking which rods are doing well, and the rods that aren't catching get changed to the program that is. Also, how many times are you marking fish at 25 feet, but not catching those fish - but catching like crazy at 15 feet? Sometimes they don't want to see the bait in their face, but they'll come way up to get it.

Anyway - I use 30# PowerPro braid, yellow... works awesome on big boards. I can't say how it performs with inline boards....

Good luck!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

I troll big boards and use Power Pro depth hunter no reel calculating 4 colors each 25' .011 dia 6'-8' leaders

In response to Captain Eric about marking at one depth and catching at another depth.There currently is a discussion regarding the reasoning of that statement on Ohio Game and Fish website under Lake Erie general discussions Jim Stedke midwinter thread.Without going into the detail he does, is when fish stacked near bottom,those fish are not feeding.The fish that are feeding are away from the school,often higher in water column and may not show up on sonar.Those active fish could be at depth of bait if bait showing on sonar.I know pooh bear also marks depth of each rod with dry eraser on a tag attached to each rod.I have been using masking tape to record leads on each rod.I will also mark color of spinner and number of fish caught on the rods.This will help in the first hour or two to help zone in on depth and color fish biting that day.Initially, we try and cover entire water column to see what depth fish biting.But will be sure to put line or two in depth you or pooh bear caught the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    In response to Captain Eric about marking at one depth and catching at another depth.There currently is a discussion regarding the reasoning of that statement on Ohio Game and Fish website under Lake Erie general discussions Jim Stedke midwinter thread.Without going into the detail he does, is when fish stacked near bottom,those fish are not feeding.The fish that are feeding are away from the school,often higher in water column and may not show up on sonar.Those active fish could be at depth of bait if bait showing on sonar.I know pooh bear also marks depth of each rod with dry eraser on a tag attached to each rod.I have been using masking tape to record leads on each rod.I will also mark color of spinner and number of fish caught on the rods.This will help in the first hour or two to help zone in on depth and color fish biting that day.Initially, we try and cover entire water column to see what depth fish biting.But will be sure to put line or two in depth you or pooh bear caught the day before.
    My basic rule of thumb.... if there are deep fish (on the bottom), and higher fish... the higher fish are the ones to target - they are the biters.
    If all you've got are bottom fish, just fish low and slow....
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

This has gone off the original topic about line.
    IMHO, active/feeding fish will typically bite the best/fastest. But, trolling you are looking for a reaction bite. Doesn't matter if the fish are high or low. Find the fish that react. More fish are caught suspended, but most lines trolling out in the lake are suspended, most not all. Hundreds of lines/baits. Guess what, more fish are caught suspended. Drift fishing has a bit different results. Since one rod is always dragging the bottom. Another topic.
    After fishing like many for most of my life. I look for fish that want to bite. I always cover the water column. Being limited on rods/lines/persons compared to Keith running 22 lines. I'd have to say most days out on the water, the biting fish depth changes where in the water column thru out the day. Up/down. Yes bring one or two rods set to the active biting depth. But leave the others where they are. Way to many times, the hot rod goes cold and if you are not still covering the water column you have to start over. Not knowing if they went high or low.
    Example: One guy in the boat only has 1 or 2 fish on their side of the boat, The other side is almost limited. Then it changes, filling the limits on the low fish count side of the boat. And bigger fish. I'm not going to get into which side of the boat has which direction of currents etc. That is another topic.
    I do know if you put the right bait infront of fish sitting on the bottom. You can catch them. And they are not "active/feeding". Again, reaction bite, not feeding.
    Just my experience.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    This has gone off the original topic about line.
    IMHO, ..... Being limited on rods/lines/persons compared to Keith running 22 lines.
    I do know if you put the right bait infront of fish sitting on the bottom. You can catch them. And they are not "active/feeding". Again, reaction bite, not feeding.
    Just my experience.
    Sorry.... no disrespect here, but I had to jump in - because I've heard this claim before...... people think Keith (Pooh Bear) runs too many lines sometimes. Wrong. I've been on the boat, worked the boat, fished next to him, etc..... you all see us out there chewing up the same water quite often. It's 2 rods per person, just like everyone else. 6 man crew, himself, and a mate = 16 rods. Typically that means 6 rods on each board and 2 Dipsy's on each side. I run the same setup. Some days I may run 7 + 1 on each side. If I have a short crew, then I'm short rods. Same goes for him. And we get checked by the DNR just as often as everyone else.

And by the way, I'll take a school of feeding fish over reaction strikes any day... You can fish all day and pull a limit off reaction strikes, or you can pull a 6 man limit in 2 or 3 hours in a feeding school of fish. But in the end, the ONLY thing that really matters is having a GREAT, FUN, and SAFE day on the water!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    www.eriecharter.com

Sorry I didn't post a clearer message.
    I have absolutely NO disrespect for Keith! Keith and his wife are awesome folks!
    I've known Keith since the early 90's. Beginning of WC. He helped with info over the years. And we have helped Keith when we could. Quite a few random breakfasts meet ups near Lorain before heading out. Besides out on the water.
    I was referring to having to label poles. 15,20 rods you need to know what is what.
    "I know pooh bear also marks depth of each rod with dry eraser on a tag attached to each rod.I have been using masking tape to record leads on each rod.I will also mark color of spinner and number of fish caught on the rods.This will help in the first hour or two to help zone in on depth and color fish biting that day.Initially, we try and cover entire water column to see what depth fish biting.But will be sure to put line or two in depth you or pooh bear caught the day before."
    When running 4,6 or 10 rods. I know what has what. And 2 rods are dedicated. One on bottom and one in the upper 10ft range. As typically the largest fish of the day comes on that rod.
    I haven't seen Keith in quite a few years. I had to sell my boat. And good friend and fishin buddy "The Migrater" docked at Beaver Creek( Dennis) moved back to MO. So not alot of chances to get like I used to.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.