Braid vs mono what works best for you Braid vs mono what works best for you Braid vs mono what works best for you Braid vs mono what works best for you
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Braid vs mono what works best for you

What line does everyone use? Do you have 6 different colors or all the same? I know different line dives different. Just trying to gather some knowledge.

I like 17ib stren.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    I like 17ib stren.
    Braided or mono? Does this line hold more true to the dive depth charts? I have 6 reels I'm trying to dial in. Never took a charter and just bought my first boat so this is a learning year for me

I think mono holds better in the front clip on inline boards, big boards it doesn't matter. As far as untangling mono is much easier and you will have some tangles sooner or later, I don't care who you are As far as the depth charts just figure a little more line out for heavier line. I think most dive charts are with 10lb mono.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

30 lb braid for big boards, I prefer 17 lb Trilene for online boards. Absolutely use the same thing on each rod (at least one diameter) whenever possible and calibrate your reels. You don't want variables in your setup because you won't be able to easily duplicate what is working or you may be unintentionally duplicating what isn't working.

12 lb big game mono for me, same diameter as 10lb xt, so dive charts are accurate. Plus for the price I replace it every season or if I happen to loose some and need to recalibrate the reel. Once I back fill my reel I can respool a 27 LC reel for under a dollar.
    Should have mentioned I am using inline boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradyfish View Post
    12 lb big game mono for me, same diameter as 10lb xt, so dive charts are accurate. Plus for the price I replace it every season or if I happen to loose some and need to recalibrate the reel. Once I back fill my reel I can respool a 27 LC reel for under a dollar.
    Should have mentioned I am using inline boards.
    inline boards? are those just the yellow offshore tackle boards with the tattle tale? that's what i use and i plan on calibrating next week. just trying to figure out what type of line to get. i'm some what a stickler for braid and i like the fireline by berkley. so if i go braid should i go the equivalent of mono? so 10 lb mono would be like 20 lb braid? also i try to run a 5 or 6 foot mono leader on cranks or is that not needed?

Yes, inlines are the yellow or orange Offshore or Church boards. Most dive curves are based on a line diameter of .014", if you want to run an equivalent braid just look for that diameter, usually 30 or 40 lb. If you want your cranks to run deeper, there are curves using 10lb fireline or the equivalent diameter.
    As far as leader on your braid, I will let someone that uses braid give their opinion. I run mono on my trolling rods, I like stretch that comes using mono. Just remember you are not holding a trolling rod, so there is no sensitivity gain using braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradyfish View Post
    Yes, inlines are the yellow or orange Offshore or Church boards. Most dive curves are based on a line diameter of .014", if you want to run an equivalent braid just look for that diameter, usually 30 or 40 lb. If you want your cranks to run deeper, there are curves using 10lb fireline or the equivalent diameter.
    As far as leader on your braid, I will let someone that uses braid give their opinion. I run mono on my trolling rods, I like stretch that comes using mono. Just remember you are not holding a trolling rod, so there is no sensitivity gain using braid.
    when trolling with inline boards do you just go off the crankbait dive chart and the boards are just a tell sign of a strike?

I run 30lb power pro on top on 25 big game as a backer. I also run abut a 20 ft floro leader. So I have my crank, duo clip with swivel about 20ft leader, and tiny spro 50 lbs swivel, my braid. The small swivel just cranks right through the eyes with no issue. This gives me a little bit stretch when going slow and fighting big fish.

I run this on both big boards and little boards

We go right off the dive curve for the crank, of the 40tt, or inline, or tadpole. The boards both side plan the lines and show and tell fish......even though with these shorts it can be hard to see a bit or even tell a fish is on.