Muddy Water? Cans or Islands? Muddy Water? Cans or Islands? Muddy Water? Cans or Islands? Muddy Water? Cans or Islands?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

fished north north west of west sister yesterday water was not to bad only landed 4 lost one marks were spotty

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    The bite, was an afternoon bite yesterday, from all the reports I heard later in the day yesterday. That would be thanks to the big full moon we are having right now, and the clear skies at night.

The stained, but not muddy, or too clean water, is what you're looking for.

Water temps dropped about 5 degrees overall since last Wednesday, but this sunshine all week will help bring that back up.
    Hey Juls,

Love your posts. Can you go a little further in depth on the water clarity? I get "stained but not muddy" but also look for really clean water? Thanks!

Think I get it to not look for water that's not too muddy or too clean? Anyway, love your knowledge and would like if you could expand a little on it. Or maybe that knowledge will present itself in your next detailed post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauken23 View Post
    Hey Juls,

Love your posts. Can you go a little further in depth on the water clarity? I get "stained but not muddy" but also look for really clean water? Thanks!
    If your boat has an outboard motor, look at your cavitation plate when you set down someplace. If you can see your cavitation plate, but the prop is "just visible", then you're in perfect water clarity conditions. If you cannot see your cavitation plate, then it's to "muddy". If you can clearly see your prop, then it's too clean. When you're in that "too clean" water, look at the difference in water temperature compared to the stained. It's much lower.
    Come summer time, that too clean water will be fishable. Right now though, they prefer to stay in the warmer waters.

That's been my experience over the years anyway....
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Thx Juls!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauken23 View Post
    Thx Juls!!!!
    Thanks for all the input. I am sorry to report I nailed zero fish today. Tough going. Was surprised to see the lake was kicking up some pretty good waves out of N - NE, 4+ easy. I was learning the new boat and systems and attempting to execute line management - which again is entirely new to this fly fishermen. So expectations were low. I think next time simply having some of my mates join to man boat while rigging everything out will help a ton.

I was around Kellys. Did a loop on west side mainly due to calmer waters to get stuff situated, then around south and poked around east, but ultimately didn't have time to get to where I wanted further NE. I attempted to attached here what all went out. I tried to follow comments gathered in other posts regarding line distance.

For example, the perfect 10 - I tried 30 feet/1 oz/30 feet and clipped to board and then let out 100 or so feet. I played around with this some. Other times not using weight and letting out more line. These bandits I was in the 100 - 125 feet out range, then attached board. Generally in 25-30' of water, but also never certain if I should have been closer to shore or further out. Do I get Precision Trolling app for these?

Now I fully expect this approach, either choice of lure or distances to generate some questions here...so by all means fire away!
    Attached Images Attached Images Muddy Water? Cans or Islands?-fullsizerender-3-jpg Muddy Water? Cans or Islands?-img_0031-jpg Muddy Water? Cans or Islands?-img_0030-jpg Muddy Water? Cans or Islands?-fullsizerender-2-jpg Muddy Water? Cans or Islands?-fullsizerender-1-jpg 

Start your bandits higher early. I would be letting out 50 then the board right now. And move them down if they are not hitting.

Default a question from an older dude

its been years since I've pulled cranks, looking at possibly reverting back to it for early season walleyes, I do have a fortune investing in walleye divers, thundersticks, power divers,reef runners,hot in tots,Mann's stretch15's, 20's and 30's but, no bandits.

I look at the bandits and they all look like a small reversion of the thundersticks I used to religiously run. My question is, has the lake feeding paradigm changed that much that would gravitate to the absolute necessity of having to go spend all that much more money on these bandits to maximize my efforts?
    Last edited by limitlypps; 05-10-2017 at 04:53 AM.

I'm with you I used to fish the lake in the 90's I went last year and used my old lures and caught walleyes on them they still worked. I'm coming back up in a few weeks with some of the newer ones and see if they are any better I live in sc and pull crank baits for strippers.

Quote Originally Posted by limitlypps View Post
    its been years since I've pulled cranks, looking at possibly reverting back to it for early season walleyes, I do have a fortune investing in walleye divers, thundersticks, power divers,reef runners,hot in tots,Mann's stretch15's, 20's and 30's but, no bandits.

I look at the bandits and they all look like a small reversion of the thundersticks I used to religiously run. My question is, has the lake feeding paradigm changed that much that would gravitate to the absolute necessity of having to go spend all that much more money on these bandits to maximize my efforts?
    No, you don't have to go spend all that money to catch fish - you can absolutely use what you've already got. Those lures will absolutely catch fish!

Here's the deal, the reason a lot of guys are buying Bandits right now - they're the hot bait, the popular bait, whatever, so a lot of guys are running them. If your time on the water is limited, a lot of guys find it a better use of what little time they get on the lake, to run what has already been established as a program in the fishing reports (location, bait, color and leads) as opposed to going out and trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak, establishing their own program with what existing baits they have.

If someone says they crushed them on DJ's Ibfrozen bandits, at whatever reef, at 1.8 mph and 45 foot leads, and I have 8 hours on Saturday to spend on the lake for a few weeks, I'm going to pick up a couple of those Ibfrozens to try to best capitalize on my time on the water by running what has already been established - if it means buying a few baits, well, I'll do it because my time is limited. Why reinvent the wheel? If I had more time to be on the lake than I'd probably be more inclined to try to make something work with what's already on the boat.

Obviously you can have 2 different lures in the strike zone and the swim pattern of those baits will make the difference between a good day and a bad day, but I don't have a theory on that. Maybe someone else will chime in with some theory on swim pattern vs water temp/clarity/etc.

Bandits do flat out catch a LOT of fish obviously. I see them in the net frequently