Working it out...:) Working it out...:) Working it out...:) Working it out...:)

Default Working it out...:)

One of my regular customers had to cancel his trip yesterday, due to personal uncontrollable circumstances on his end, so I was going to tag along and fun fish with my friend Scott Bogen who was in town prefishing for the NWT out of the Detroit River this coming weekend. Another friend, John, would also be fishing with us.

We hit the water at 7:30, and trolled a couple areas in the morning, and had 13 walleye by 10:30 when I received a phone call from a MN area code.

Two brothers and their friend (all originally from Wisconsin with one still living there), were in Ohio for the week for some fishing fun and their boat broke down after the first night here. They were looking for a charter to get them out on the water. Being a Wisco gal myself, I felt obligated to help them out.

But, what could I do? My boat was attached to my truck and sitting in the driveway at home, and I was sitting out in the middle of Lake Erie.

I didn't tell them, "No" though, and asked them if they would be willing to stop and pick up my truck and boat and drive it over to the launch that was closest to where we were fishing at the time, and they said, "Yes". After some instruction, about a 1/2 hour later they said they had picked up the boat and were on their way to the launch. Scotty drove me in and dropped me off, and about 2 minutes later they pulled in. It was perfect timing, and I thought everything was going to go smoothly and we would be on the water fishing in just a few minutes.. I was wrong.

As I readied the boat at the launch, I plugged the trolling motor in and remembered that I had taken the remote for the trolling motor out of the glove box and put it on my desk for safe keeping since the next trip wasn't for a few more days. Ugh!! I explained that we couldn't go anywhere without that remote, and I would have to drive back home and get it. They were very understanding and the brothers, Brian and Aaron, said they would hang out at the launch and eat their Subway sandwiches they bought on the way to the ramp, and Jason would go for a ride with me.

We picked up the remote and headed back to the ramp. We launched at 11:45am and headed out to the last spot I was with with Scotty. Since he's fishing a tournament, I am not giving out his spot information, but I can say, for anyone that knows this lake, it's pretty common for this time of year, and no secret.

After picking up a few fish there, we headed towards the west side of Green Island where I had taken the previous day's crew, and set out trolling DHJ12's 35-60 back. The previous day they jumped all over the Pink Lemonad and Blue Glass colors, but yesterday they wanted the Glass Clown. That color took most of the fish over there.

I had switched out a Blue Glass for a Halloween, and told the guys, "Okay, I always like to make it a little interesting and have you each pick a bait/board that you think is going to catch a fish next". Jason picked the middle board on the Port Side, and Brian picked the middle board on the starboard side. We waited for Aaron to pick one, and he finally pointed to the board that had the new Halloween color on it and it wasn't two seconds later that that board went shooting back with a the biggest fish of the day on it! We all laughed and hooped and hollered while he reeled it in. It was 30 inches long, but I don't have a scaled in the boat to get any weights, so we guess it to be close to 10 pounds. She had a big head and some big shoulders on her, but her belly is still pretty skinny after the spawn.
    They are just starting to put the feed bag on and it will be a good week before we see those bellies getting full and tight again.

We ended up with 9 fish between 25 and 30 inches for the day. The bite seemed better in the morning than it was in the afternoon yesterday.

We met Scotty and John at the mexican restaurant for dinner and headed home to drop the crew off with their fish, and put the boat to bed. I was whooped and didn't get this blog done until this morning.

The same crew wants to go this morning, so I have to make this short!

We'll be launching out of Mazurik's at 8am. I'll report back later!

Capt. Juls
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default working it out...

Man Julia, you sure like to write, and I do enjoy your reports. I don't have huskey jerks and I am wondering if reef runners do the same? Everyone be safe out there.

800 Reef in Barbie at 80 back did us good Saturday

Lights out RR 800 back 55-65 done it for us Sunday. 1.7mph. Caught 8 of our 12 fish.

Nice rig there . We just got a new ranger this year as well. Incredible boats. Thanks for the report

LOL...yes, I do like to write. I guess I could just link to my blog, but I don't know what the rules on this site are for things like that.

I try to keep it to a minimum amount of words, but it usually doesn't work.

I had the same group today, but they were minus one of their guys, who had to drive to Cinci for a sales meeting...poor fella. He missed a fun day today. But, on the bright side, they are scheduled to go out with me again on Thursday. Hopefully, this wind forecast will hold up and give us Thursday and Friday, like it's showing right now. Fingers crossed!
    [email protected]

Great report Juls and great looking fish. You are a very trusting lady to give some strangers access to your truck and boat.
    "ReelTime"
    Kencraft Challenger 215

I was thinking the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    Great report Juls and great looking fish. You are a very trusting lady to give some strangers access to your truck and boat.
    Hey, they are born and bred Wisconsinites...(so am I!)...nuff said. lol

Seriously though, a woman's intuition is usually right, and I knew they were okay.

It's not something I would do on a regular basis, and more than likely never again.... It just happened to work in this particular situation, and it was too nice of a day on the water to pass up taking a charter out.

Had it been rough, I would have said, "No, I'm already fishing", and left it at that. But, a nice calm day, with three stranded Wisco boys on vacation?....I felt a need to work that out.

P.S. He's also a member of this site, so how bad could he be?
    Last edited by Capt Juls; 04-23-2014 at 07:54 AM.
    [email protected]

a few of the fish we got last Friday and Saturday were full of belly fat.