No ice....history ?? No ice....history ?? No ice....history ?? No ice....history ??

Default No ice....history ??

With the mild winter and lack of ice on the lake, does that usually effect the fishing ?

i think it does last winter was similar to this one the fishing wasn't that good for me last year
    imo when the lake is cover in ice they are less active when there no ice they are little active then
    they eat so when spring comes not as hungry meens bad fishing lake is warmer though out the
    summer and fall less active it seems to me when the lake is mostly frozen over the fishing is great
    that year jeff

What I understand is that with no ice cover the lake is more likely to get churned up / wavy and this effects the spawning process. The eggs don't settle and get bounced around and not fertilized. This of course has an effect on future years probably not this year. But who knows. But I agree with Milt last year wasn't as good as the year before.
    Current flotation devices:
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams

Quote Originally Posted by captainjoe View Post
    What I understand is that with no ice cover the lake is more likely to get churned up / wavy and this effects the spawning process. The eggs don't settle and get bounced around and not fertilized. This of course has an effect on future years probably not this year. But who knows. But I agree with Milt last year wasn't as good as the year before.
    capt joe I sent you a pm
    jeff

Jeff - I don't see anything in my PM's. Only old ones from you. ???
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams

joe I resent it

Jeff - Ok I got it and replied.
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams

Quote Originally Posted by South Buffalo View Post
    With the mild winter and lack of ice on the lake, does that usually effect the fishing ?
    The other problem is that the ice cover helps prevent sand from being moved into the harbors. We had a real problem at sturgeon point a few years ago with that, low water levels getting your boat out.

I also remember the fishing being screwed up that year, not as good. Whether that's the case this year, who knows. My thought also was that since no ice on the lake, we would probably have a nice warm spring since there was no gigantic ice berg cooling off our weather. That spring ended up being crappy and cold, so that theory was shot to hell.
    Last edited by RedPearl; 02-20-2017 at 11:15 AM.