6/5 storm front 6/5 storm front 6/5 storm front 6/5 storm front

Thread: 6/5 storm front

Default 6/5 storm front

Anyone else get caught in the storm front? Wind was really whipping. We went back to the top end of our troll and reset lines to try n get one last pass in to finish up our limit after checking the radar n looked like small red blob and thought we could avoid it. Looked at the radar ten minutes later and it tripled in size. Quickly pulled lines n headed 8.5 miles back in got about 500 yards short of the jetty n realized we were not gonna beat the storm in. Wind was blowing the boat side ways. We got in the jetty n had to ride it out in the cover of the mouth as there was no way I was gonna try to dock in that stuff. Not gonna cut the next one so close. 40 mph gusts put another gray patch in my beard.
    Pyle O Fish

Quote Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
    Anyone else get caught in the storm front? Wind was really whipping. We went back to the top end of our troll and reset lines to try n get one last pass in to finish up our limit after checking the radar n looked like small red blob and thought we could avoid it. Looked at the radar ten minutes later and it tripled in size. Quickly pulled lines n headed 8.5 miles back in got about 500 yards short of the jetty n realized we were not gonna beat the storm in. Wind was blowing the boat side ways. We got in the jetty n had to ride it out in the cover of the mouth as there was no way I was gonna try to dock in that stuff. Not gonna cut the next one so close. 40 mph gusts put another gray patch in my beard.
    How about your shorts?

Been there and done that! It is not fun and it takes awhile for the heartbeat to get back to somewhat normal. Glad you made it back safely with a lesson learned.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Learned my lesson years ago when I had a Lyman and thought I could handle most storms Stayed to long and tried to outrun a big storm and lost all my canvas support rigging.Glad you made it home safely
    2014 21 ft TIDEWATER CENTER CONSOLE
    ELITE CHIRP/DOWN IMAGING

I missed this one but have certainly got in patches of weather. Amazing how fast it can blow up sometimes. Nothing like heading into waves steep enough and high enough that they break over the front of the boat (which sits about 5 feet out of the water) hard enough to see green through the windows.

Never had it where I wouldn't try to dock in the wind though. Never tried it in 40mph so you probably made the smart call there... still if you got in behind a breakwall no worries.

My concern always has been lightening more than wind... nothing more frustrating than a little summer squall that maybe doesn't kick things up enough to stop fishing but the idea of handling an aluminum net with lightening about and me in a boat usually makes me stop anyhow.

Here a couple of links you should look at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10PZ_0GK_bU

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...htening.html#b

I would be more concerned about the fishing rods. Bob Nickles who ran Smoke Eater Charter service out of Draw Bridge Marina in the late 70's I am thinking it was 1979 anyhow his boat was struck by lightning while fishing with his clients. Luckily he was not holding the rod at the time but had put it into the rod holder on the chair on the bow of his 30 ft Sport Craft and had went Aft to get out of the weather. No one was injured but they were still visibly shaken when he returned to his slip. It actually blew/burnt several holes thru the hull of his boat and destroyed the rod and the chair. I had worked with Bob at Brush Wellman on St Rt 590 (now Materlion sp. ) before he left to become a fireman at Fremont, Ohio, thus his name Smoke Eater. I had left the area he was fishing in when the first rumble of thunder could be heard and headed to the dock.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

A guy I know was out one of these past weekends not sure if it was this particular storm but he stayed out just a little to long and got caught in a dandy storm ... Wind picked up and on their way back in he was running through 9'ers.. He has a 299 baha and said that there was water comin over the hard top with every wave... Also said the cuddy door came off and there misc screws Layin on the deck when they finally got back to dock... I'm with Wakina on this one no matter how good the fishing is sometimes ya gotta know when to say when... Lake Eire can get pretty upset rather quickly and it's not worth a few extra fish to be able to say we got em all... Stay safe and live to fish another day