B-Can area perch 08/16 B-Can area perch 08/16 B-Can area perch 08/16 B-Can area perch 08/16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default B-Can area perch 08/16

Went back to the about the same numbers from last week, this time the numbers are, last 4 GPS #'s 41.13 north and 04.13 west, was close but not exactly as last week. Started at 8:45 done at 10:05, 30 weighed 9 lbs at Cutchers, caught all fishing in the mud. I got nice shiners at DreamCatchers this morning with a mix of some pinheads and 3 to 4" jumbos. I cut the big ones into pieces and the perch loved them, cut big ones or the pinheads and everything in between it made no difference in the bite, it was down and up, was all by myself again with a pack of boats at and east of B-Can and another East and south of my location. Threw back a bunch of 4 to 6 inch perch and caught maybe 10 junk fish today.
    Attached Images Attached Images B-Can area perch 08/16-20150816_113628_resized-jpg 
    Last edited by wakina; 08-16-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Had to edit the first post due to having the GPS North and West turned around, I better be getting with the program here and get my S**t straight. The numbers are correct! I did the same thing last week but did not notice it until today! Sorry!!!!!

I also forgot to add that the perch were eating Zebra Mussels, they were spitting them up in the cooler. That may be why they like those minnows in the mud so well.

Also if any one has a need for new Erie Dearies check with George Cutcher at Cutchers fish cleaning he has a bunch of them still in the original packages, several different colors and maybe some that have been discontinued. Don't be affraid to ask him as he asked me to spread the word.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Good job on those perch! How is the algae in that area? I have been checking the satellite images and it looks like the western basin is pretty ugly. I am hoping to get back up in the near future...I've been out of commission waiting on a new axel for my trailer and it it supposed to be in this week!

We tried B-can area Saturday afternoon and had a tough time. We started almost due S of the can, then moved N into the pack. Only picked up 6 worth keeping. Algae was terrible out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Went back to the about the same numbers from last week, this time the numbers are, last 4 GPS #'s 41.13 north and 04.13 west, was close but not exactly as last week. Started at 8:45 done at 10:05, 30 weighed 9 lbs at Cutchers, caught all fishing in the mud. I got nice shiners at DreamCatchers this morning with a mix of some pinheads and 3 to 4" jumbos. I cut the big ones into pieces and the perch loved them, cut big ones or the pinheads and everything in between it made no difference in the bite, it was down and up, was all by myself again with a pack of boats at and east of B-Can and another East and south of my location. Threw back a bunch of 4 to 6 inch perch and caught maybe 10 junk fish today.
    3.3 to lb...Great Job finding the nice ones Derald...those are weights we are looking for...and much better than a lot of those 4.5 to 5 per lbs reports that have been coming in...

The Algae was bad where I was anchored but that did not slow up the perch any. It was still down and up when I left and it took about 15 minutes to get them started. They were mostly of 71/2 to 8 inch sized fish with that big belly and not those long and skinny fish that don't weigh up, with some larger up to 10 inches. This early in the perch season to me it is foolish to leave that size of fish insearch of bigger fish as it is still early for those jumbos.

Eyezcrazy I am sorry to hear about your boat trailer problems, wish you the best in getting them resolved quickly, we need some help thinning out those perch.
    Last edited by wakina; 08-17-2015 at 08:08 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Quote Originally Posted by LEfriend View Post
    3.3 to lb...Great Job finding the nice ones Derald...those are weights we are looking for...and much better than a lot of those 4.5 to 5 per lbs reports that have been coming in...
    Yes nice sized perch, I prefer a limit at 3 to a lb over smaller 4 fish to a lb and even the larger fish when they get to the 2 to a lb size. The smaller fish, there is not much there after cleaning even though they taste excellent and larger they don't have that certain taste those 3 to a lb fish have they just are not as flavorable. But that is just me and everyone has their own preference. That is the reason I don't go to the eastern Ohio fishery.

Last weeks post I promised some pics of something new that I have been trying but unfortunately the ignition switch on my boat gave out and I had to bypass the switch in order to come in on the main motor, I fed power back to the switch from the main power to the switch to the instrument panel and back to the switch so I could start the boat with the key also jumpered from main power to the run wire from switch so boat would keep running once started. I was so intent on that that I forgot to take the pics of not only the fish but the new trick I have been using.

With no pics I will attempt to show what I am doing and it really does seem to work, but once again that is only my opinion and what I perceive as experience.

I purchased one of these in the green variety off of Ebay and extended the power cable from about 18 feet to 50 feet so I could reach bottom. I soldered the wires for strenth over crimps where I spliced in regular low voltage landscape lighting wire and covered the splices with liquid tape then used water proof shrink tubing to finish the connection and seal out water. I am not advocating that anyone rush out and buy one of these but am saying to think for yourselves as to what to do. I really do believe it makes a difference, especially on neutral to low activity fish but not on those fish in the negitive mood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-lure-bai...d189b5&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by wakina; 08-17-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Yes nice sized perch, I prefer a limit at 3 to a lb over smaller 4 fish to a lb and even the larger fish when they get to the 2 to a lb size. The smaller fish, there is not much there after cleaning even though they taste excellent and larger they don't have that certain taste those 3 to a lb fish have they just are not as flavorable. But that is just me and everyone has their own preference. That is the reason I don't go to the eastern Ohio fishery.

Last weeks post I promised some pics of something new that I have been trying but unfortunately the ignition switch on my boat gave out and I had to bypass the switch in order to come in on the main motor, I fed power back to the switch from the main power to the switch to the instrument panel and back to the switch so I could start the boat with the key also jumpered from main power to the run wire from switch so boat would keep running once started. I was so intent on that that I forgot to take the pics of not only the fish but the new trick I have been using.

With no pics I will attempt to show what I am doing and it really does seem to work, but once again that is only my opinion and what I perceive as experience.

I purchased one of these in the green variety off of Ebay and extended the power cable from about 18 feet to 50 feet so I could reach bottom. I soldered the wires for strenth over crimps where I spliced in regular low voltage landscape lighting wire and covered the splices with liquid tape then used water proof shrink tubing to finish the connection and seal out water. I am not advocating that anyone rush out and buy one of these but am saying to think for yourselves as to what to do. I really do believe it makes a difference, especially on neutral to low activity fish but not on those fish in the negitive mood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-lure-bai...d189b5&vxp=mtr
    Good idea! The fact that you were catching when others were not so that tells us something.

Thanks for posting that Wakina. I've been looking for something like that ever since I saw my uncle's underwater dock lights draw in fish at night, never thought about looking on ebay for a fish attracting 12 volt light.

Quote Originally Posted by eyesnperch View Post
    Thanks for posting that WakiI've been looking for something like that everi saw my uncle's underwater dock lights draw in fish at night, never thought about looking on ebay for a fish attracting 12 volt light.
    I don't know where they're made at, I didn't look at the package but I would make sure I would buy from a US seller. There are lot of them on there selling from and located in China and Hong Kong.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS