Sunday 3-20 jiggin report Sunday 3-20 jiggin report Sunday 3-20 jiggin report Sunday 3-20 jiggin report

Default Sunday 3-20 jiggin report

Buddy and I fished yesterday (Sunday) just north of locust reef on the 18' contour line .. We were using purple hair jigs with blue and purple hair and picked up 4 keeper jacks .. 2 with bait and 2 without Snagged two which were both released Alive and missed a few more light bites ... Ran both drift bags with drift speed of about .2-.5 mph ... Started fishing at 3:30 pm and finished around 6:30 pm ... Water clarity was good probably 4-6' visibility ... Water temp at the surface was 40.4 degrees ... Just for giggles ran in closer and at 12' water temp was reading 41.2 but didn't pick up any fish all in all good day to be on the water
    Sunday 3-20 jiggin report-image-jpg

Nice job! Can't wait to get out there - 12 days away.

?? What is the average size male keeper out here? If avoiding the big females, just wondering what a nice average fish is. Those look really good sized.

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post

?? What is the average size male keeper out here? If avoiding the big females, just wondering what a nice average fish is. Those look really good sized.
    I'm no pro, but the average I've caught jigging were about 4lbs. Pretty much all males. Don't know if I've ever caught a female jigging. We usually fish the flats about 14ft or so. Sometimes head to the reefs if we have to.

Default Cycle guy

The three on the left were between 17-18" and the one on the right went 23"... Usually we encounter between 18"-24" during jig season .. Only a few times we've caught some females buts it's rare
    Last edited by FishOn205; 03-21-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Well done, sounds like you had fun

Blog Entries

Default "Keeper" Food or Trophy?

[QUOTE=cycleguy;52294]Nice job! Can't wait to get out there - 12 days away.

?? What is the average size male keeper out here? If avoiding the big females, just wondering what a nice average fish is. Those look really good sized.[/QUOTE

Depends on your reason to keep them.
    Many want to catch the 'Eyes for great eating and some want to get a big one or more for bragging rights. To get a few on board for eating, I keep the male 17 to 20 inchers. Bigger ones are nice for photos and then released, male and female. Since the Walleye limit is 4 now, and then 6 later, my logic is to try for both Walleye and Perch based on the conditions. I fish for eating them and you can't beat a good old fish fry with either one or better yet a mixture of both, add some sides like slaw and rings or fries.....

now im hungry for a fish dinner

You will know if it is a male/jack or not, wear old cloths and keep your food and drink up and out of the way. Size varies since there are several different year classes there spawning.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip