First trip First trip First trip First trip

Thread: First trip

Default First trip

After a long slow ride out to due to breaking in a new main engine, we got set up to jig about 10 am. We found the Water temps were 45 to almost 46 surface temp. at both Toussaint Reef area where we started, and about 1 mile east of K Can both in the morning and the afternoon. The East of K can area treated us well with 6 nice jacks 22" to 24" Toussaint gave us 2 in the 18" range. Lost at least that many getting the rust out of my system and today was the wife's first attempt at the jig bite so she lost her fair share also. I think she was her own biggest catch, she is still talking about it this morning. She can cuss like a sailor when she loses a fish. LOL. Best depth was 13 to 15 foot off of the rocks (Reefs) and on flat bottom. They liked a quick snap and drop today. Most came with a GPS drifting speed of .4 to .6 any faster and the bite slowed down to a stop. Water was extremely dirty close to shore and out to about a mile. The stained water east of K can was better than the cleaner water at Toussaint Reef. Dreamcatcher jigs were awesome today in JD Green, Black and Purple all in 1 oz size as it was fairly windy when we started and didn't change to lighter jigs when it calmed down, we started with shiners but finished with bare jigs so today it appeared shiners were not needed. Most came on untipped (bare) jigs.
    Thoughts on this! Only 3 of the 8 were milting, didn't show at the cleaning table either, and non were spawned out females, could the jig bite be winding down?
    Last edited by wakina; 04-18-2014 at 07:02 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I trolled all weekend all females were sponed out. Some were full of belly fat like they been feeding for a month some looked like deflated balloons. I was told after the females lay their eggs they lay in the mud for awhile before they start feeding. the females were very aggressive this weekend, the bite was on