Line counter reels Line counter reels Line counter reels Line counter reels
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Line counter reels

Folks, are there any decent line counter reels under $100.00 other than the Daiwa 27 series ?

Looking to upgrade from a pair of Cabelas reels.

Thanks!

Lope

Quote Originally Posted by pollock-a-lope View Post
    Folks, are there any decent line counter reels under $100.00 other than the Daiwa 27 series ?

Thanks!

Lope
    I prefer and use Okuma Convectors. There are plenty of boats running Okuma, and plenty running Daiwa.

-Matt

Ditto's With Madd Matt. I have the Okuma Convectors and the Magda pros. You have to get them spooled right so the line count is accurate but they all are this way. Several seasons no problems.

Not to take business away from the site but fishusa has some great deals.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

I am also looking to pick up a couple of combo sets looking at cabelas they have have quite a few models rod lenth - action med -heavy what would you recomend realy have no budget just want to get the right set up thanks guys

We run Diawa's for walleye on Erie & for Salmon on Ontario. If they can stand up to the 1st run of a 20-30lb King Salmon they can handle a 7-12 lb walleye. I live within 1 1/2 hours of Cabelas in WV. And I've seen too many of their Cabelas line counters in the "bargain cave" that it makes me a little on the cautious side to purchase one. If you're going to spend the money for a Cabelas, what's a few extra dollars? We used to run Okuma's & they ran good. The only problem was their life expectancy didn't seem to last over 6-8 years. After that we would start to see problems with the drag sticking, line counter not working & so on. Even with tearing them down, cleaning & regreasing them regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    Ditto's With Madd Matt. I have the Okuma Convectors and the Magda pros. You have to get them spooled right so the line count is accurate but they all are this way. Several seasons no problems.

Not to take business away from the site but fishusa has some great deals.
    Pimple Pounder, I have a few Magda pros in my mix as well... I started with the Magda pros and then started slowly switching to Convectors. They are both good reels. However, when you have been reeling in on Convectors all day, and then grab the rod with that Magda Pro it is night and day difference and you notice right away. I finally bought enough Convectors to get all 18 rods switched over and use the Magda Pros as backup. I like both of them.

-Matt

I started with Convectors by a high recommendation from a MI retailer that knew a ton about trolling. Not having used others, I can say I love mine. Use them for pulling off shore boards on mono, up to small spoons for shallow salmon early in the year. I have bigger 40 series ones for lead core, and like them all. After hooking up with say a big brown trout on ten pound mono, and having a board out 120', the 30 series can be a little small feeling… but only when compared to the bigger 40's. Biggest thing, run them nice and full. Gives you better retrieval speeds, and if all kept the same, more accurate measurements for multiple lines out.

I use Okuma Classic Pro GLT Downrigger Rods in medium light 7'6" for everything. Seems light, but I can run dipsies, light walleye gear or whatever, and they are like $30 each.

Quote Originally Posted by pollock-a-lope View Post

Thanks!

Lope
    My first choice is of course Tekota 300 by Shimano, I realize those are out of your desired price range. I also have 4 Okuma Coldwater reels that I use when there are 3 or more on board. They are very nice reels that can be had for around $90.00. I have had 0 issues with the Okuma reels.

Before the Coldwater reels I used the Convector reels for several seasons. I sold them when I got the Tekota reels and the Convectors were every bit as reliable as the Coldwater reels. They are still in use today as a friend of mine bought them. So for the money I don't think you would be disappointed in the Okuma line. I just cannot recommend the Okuma Magda Pro reels as they fit in on the bottom of the starter reels.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Wakina what make of rods are you using with your Tekota reels
    Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    My first choice is of course Tekota 300 by Shimano, I realize those are out of your desired price range. I also have 4 Okuma Coldwater reels that I use when there are 3 or more on board. They are very nice reels that can be had for around $90.00. I have had 0 issues with the Okuma reels.

Before the Coldwater reels I used the Convector reels for several seasons. I sold them when I got the Tekota reels and the Convectors were every bit as reliable as the Coldwater reels. They are still in use today as a friend of mine bought them. So for the money I don't think you would be disappointed in the Okuma line. I just cannot recommend the Okuma Magda Pro reels as they fit in on the bottom of the starter reels.

Quote Originally Posted by jdff21 View Post
    Wakina what make of rods are you using with your Tekota reels

I run the Ugly Stix GX 2 model # USCA701M by Shakespeare, I have 8 of these and have no complaints. I run 4 with the Shimano Tekota reels and 4 with the Okuma Coldwater reels.

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-rod...6.html#start=2
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip