Boat Launch Ice. Boat Launch Ice. Boat Launch Ice. Boat Launch Ice.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Report of 2 man limit from huron today, many boats out, limits had by 830. I did not go personally. But pic of 13lber landed today out huron
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 01-19-2017 at 10:47 PM.

I'm all in! Boat in garage tonight after work, mount new electronics, new line on reels and head out early. We rarely get to fish this part of the lake in January! What technique was successful? Should we jig pimples and cast masters as through the ice or slow troll bottom? Were you North of the dumping grounds, if so how deep?

I did not personal go. So I don't know exact location. But I think they were north a little bit. I would not troll the bottom if I were going. I would fish high

Thinking of dropping the jon boat in and working the bay area. I'm sure they're beginning to stage with the warm weather were getting.

Black Pearl and others

A friend of mine and myself launched at Catabwa on Saturday morning the lake was flat. We went towards the Power plant as though we would went on the ice maybe 3 miles. We were jigging using our flashers. The water was pretty clear and I managed to catch one at that spot. We decided to head East , there was a pack of boats in front of Put-in bay.. We caught a few dinks and some junk. We then went North between Green Island and South Bass, favoring N/E Green, 33 fow. The wind was SW so the was no wind hardly, it was warm. The water was very murky , I suppose do to the wind smacking into Green Is. Had things stirred up, but we started marking fish. So we set up shop and started jigging. The most productive jig we found was a w7 jigging rap in blue and chrome. ( 2.75 inches) tipped with minnow heads. We caught a lot of shorts, 10 nice yellow perch, some enourmous trash perch and 5 more keepers. The largest was 21 and we lost one that was i'm sure close to 30. Everything we caught appeared to be males. All and all a good day for January 21.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

That would had been alot of walking if there was ice. Lol

Launched out of Huron Saturday about 8:30. Lot was full and had to get creative with parking. I expected to see a few parking tickets, but didn't notice any when I came in. Many others were more creative than I was! Beautiful day, but few fish. Didn't see many caught. Started West and then North of the dumping grounds and then made a large circle to NNE of Cedar Point, back to 30' of water and headed East back to the dumping grounds. Came off the water at 4pm with only 1 @ 23". Caught 3 more short. Jigging the whole time. I marked more in the 30' depth about 2 - 3 miles off shore, but couldn't get them to hit. Generally few and scattered marks with over 18 miles on the water. I have never been able to fish this part of the lake in January and was optimistic a major memory would be made! Maybe next time!

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Sorry I'm not an ice fisherman. But if you was going to go out on the ice today that is if there was Ice strong enough to fish on where would you go. Would you go to Huron or would you go to The Reef complex or somewhere close by, somewhere between Catawba State Park and the cans that marks the north Edge of the firing range. Maybe in the South Passage. Just something to think about. I rest my case.
    lol.... I like your style, Wakina.

I do think that it was spotty, but I got sent photos of really nice fish being caught on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a lot nicer day and seemed to produce a lot of limits over in the "Island" area... many in the same places that you would typically be ice fishing over there now. The photos I have are not mine, so I won't post them... But several of them were from members in here, maybe they will post.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    lol.... I like your style, Wakina.

I do think that it was spotty, but I got sent photos of really nice fish being caught on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was a lot nicer day and seemed to produce a lot of limits over in the "Island" area... many in the same places that you would typically be ice fishing over there now. The photos I have are not mine, so I won't post them... But several of them were from members in here, maybe they will post.

-Matt

I was trying to help those who did not really want to drive to Huron to launch, BUT ~~ After reading my own post I myself felt that it was somewhat arrogant and condescending. I sure didn't mean for it to be/sound that way but it was and I'm wearing it. All the post prior to and after were informative and helpful for some if not all and did not deserve the way that I worded my reply.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Boat Launch Ice.-img_20170121_105801213_top-jpg

From my 1/21 post here.

More importantly tho, no Wakina, you did not sound arrogant. You gave good advice and anyone who reads more than two of your posts knows that. I agree with what you said and a lot of the guys come from the West, as you mentioned. Huron is 20 minutes shorter drive for me or I most likely would have taken your advice and will definitely be launching out of Catawba and heading to the cans in Feb. if weather allows.

Good Luck to All!!! 2017 Walleye Season is here!
    Dave(snothere)
    2352 Trophy Hardtop WA
    Channel Grove Marina
    Sammy the Lucky Golden