I messed up BAD today I messed up BAD today I messed up BAD today I messed up BAD today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Sorry, I disagree! The ODNR officers were doing the job the tax payers and license buyers hired them to do. The limit is 30 yellow perch and not 31. Just as the original poster stated, "I messed up BAD today". I didn't hear the original poster complaining about the ODNR, but instead he stepped up and admitted they were wrong and wants to never repeat that expensive mistake again.
    I am with you Wakina,, If the law starts to bend, we soon learn to expect it to bend.. True this was a mistake and innocent enough, but the ODNR being tough keep us on our toes and we need to make sure 30 is not 31. I myself have lost count and had to recount time and time again. yes it is a pain but it is nice to get checked and be on the money. I think recounting preferably by another is the only way to go. That is a bummer on Carpn's story of 89 perch... Sometimes I think the ODNR plays tricks on purpose.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Carpn View Post
    We got checked a few yrs ago as we were pulling anchor to head in . WO counted and said we were 1 over . He just kept the fish and didn't fine us . Later while cleaning our fish we recounted and had 89 perch.
    that's a real bummer for sure. I've been checked hundreds of times over the yrs and the one time that we got checked was the only time we were over. and we did learn from our mistake. we always count our fish when we are close to getting our limit and count again when we get our limit

and d.d.e. I wasn't insinuating that you was anything but respectful to the officer that got you. you stated in your 1st post that you knew you were in the wrong. and I'm sorry if I sounded like I was saying anything bad about your experience. the dnr has a job to do and not all the people they have to deal with accepts that its there mistake. we as sportsman should always follow the laws. and if we make a mistake we should be ready to step up and accept that the dnr is there to protect our resource. sometimes they may be a little tough. but on the other hand we don't know what they had to deal with on there other encounters.

A couple of years ago I was fishing by myself and caught a limit of perch. When I counted them at the cleaning table there were only 29. Since then I always catch one more for good measure. After reading all the comments on this thread I won't be doing that anymore.

I was thinking about the scenario Sherman was talking about before he mentioned his story. So, how many times have people re- counted before heading in a realized they had miscounted and were over their limit and tossed dead fish back into the lake? What a waste.How many perch fisherman cull small perch when they catch larger perch and toss dead fish back into the lake? So you are staying within your legal limit but still killing additional fish.

I carry a small bucket and put the perch in it until we reach 10 fish. I then recount the 10 and put them in the cooler. It is a lot easier for me to accurately keep track of multiples of 10 and we always recount when we are 5 short of our limit to be sure.

Now if I could only find time to get back to the lake and fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I was thinking about the scenario Sherman was talking about before he mentioned his story. So, how many times have people re- counted before heading in a realized they had miscounted and were over their limit and tossed dead fish back into the lake? What a waste.How many perch fisherman cull small perch when they catch larger perch and toss dead fish back into the lake? So you are staying within your legal limit but still killing additional fish.

I carry a small bucket and put the perch in it until we reach 10 fish. I then recount the 10 and put them in the cooler. It is a lot easier for me to accurately keep track of multiples of 10 and we always recount when we are 5 short of our limit to be sure.

Now if I could only find time to get back to the lake and fish!
    OR! Like one time when I came back into Catawba The O.D.N.R. was at the dock checking. and their was perch floating around where boats were staging to come in.

Always count fish when we think were close. We put them in a bucket and put the bucket in the cooler. Finish the limit count in the cooler add them to the bucket count. Put ice bag or block on top of the bucket, makes it easy to take to cleaners. We were checked for the first time this year on the way in . They took the bucket kept it for maybe 5 minutes gave it back and said we were good.

On our trips, we have several 5 gal buckets, with a few inches of water.... customers toss perch into the buckets as they catch. As the buckets start to fill, either myself or the first mate count perch into the cooler - 10 at a time - and put those on the counter. As the cooler reaches our boat limit, we can tell the customers how many more we need, like 15 more, 12 more, etc.... until we hit the number. Then we're done! Anything else caught while we clean up gets tossed back. We've never been over.

Most of us will agree the DNR has a job to do and we respect that.....30 means 30 and 15" means 15" - BUT - don't be afraid to RESPECTFULLY defend yourself if you believe you are correct and he is wrong. If you are certain you have 90, and they count 91, ask to assist in another count. After having my walleye cooler checked a few years ago, the WO held one fish out and said it was 1/8" short. (My personal minimum for walleye is 15 1/4".) I asked to see it, and he showed me. I asked to see it on my measuring board. And he laid it in there. I pinched the tail for him because he clearly was not following their guidelines for measuring fish, and the fish was 15 1/8" on the money. I asked why it was 1/8" short on his stick, yet 1/8" over on mine??? Instead of measuring my fish board (which is what I expected next) he took his fish board and left, saying "Have a nice day." (4 years ago)
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing