Ramp etiquette Ramp etiquette Ramp etiquette Ramp etiquette
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ramp etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Gradyfish View Post
    Rick, I agree that if there is a spot to move the boat while retrieving the truck by all means do it. The way I read th OP's post it mentioned WW as a reference from the last weekend but I did not read it as only pertaining to WW. If it was, than I misread the post and apologize for that. But with that being said, I still never see it OK for someone to bark as someone's wife and kid for holding them up for a few minutes. I have had my share of times waiting at a busy launch, and someone yelling at someone else does not accomplish a thing. The OP did mention "newbies", this is no way to welcome a family to our sport.
    Thank you to all that have chimed in on this. I think I was a little misunderstood. When I brought this up I was just looking for some input on the frustration experienced and the opportunity for a "teaching moment". As a coach I realize the important of delivery and asking someone to please move their boat down the dock so other boats can load should no construed as starting a pissing match. I think those that have experience can share the proper etiquette and courtesy when loading/unloading. In this first instance I am speaking about, a boat was left at the end of the ramp with someone holding a rope. Walking 10-15 feet back would have opened up everything. We were were loading, we offered to help as you could tell they were newbies as the boat almost came off the trailer since the forgot to secure the bow. I was always taught to be courteous and think of others as well. If we as experienced fisherman can common courtesies we practice ourselves, everyone wins. Yelling and cursing only leads to failure in what you are trying to accomplish. My motto is "life is too short to be an a&%$*&#."

Years ago we would always go up to Sheboygan Wisconsin to fish a Salmon Tournament, the locals had a set of bleachers set up by the ramps and in the afternoon would use signs like the Olympic judges ( 1 - 5) to rate the people putting their boats back on the trailer. Of course there was a lot cold beverages consumed! It was hilarious, 5,s would get standing ovation from the bleachers and 1's would be booed.

courteous instruction will be the way to teach or lead someone - they will then choose to understand and follow OR they will be a delay to us all