Tadpoles vs. inline weights? Tadpoles vs. inline weights? Tadpoles vs. inline weights? Tadpoles vs. inline weights?

Default Tadpoles vs. inline weights?

Hi all, looking for some insight as to the pros/cons using inline weights vs. tadpoles? I have used snap weights a little last year but very little and was thinking about theses options as well. I typically run spoons, meat and cranks, which would be the better option and why?

Thanks in advance to any feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by WV Buoy View Post
    Hi all, looking for some insight as to the pros/cons using inline weights vs. tadpoles? I have used snap weights a little last year but very little and was thinking about theses options as well. I typically run spoons, meat and cranks, which would be the better option and why?

Thanks in advance to any feedback!
    I can see a distinct advantage of tadpoles over inline wts.! They are both located in the line at about the same location with each terminating at the end of your main line, then a leader with the spoon or leader spinner/harness combination that finishes the rig. The Tadpoles also have a diving ability which means deeper sooner and when hooked up with a walleye it trips allowing you to fight the fish and not the weight/diver aspect of the tadpole. So the advantage that I see is deeper sooner which means less line out which translates into being closer to the cooler/net with that just hooked walleye right from the start of the retrieval process. Closer to the cooler/net is always better than further from the cooler/net.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

we started using tadpole #2 the last two seasons and they have worked great with our worm harnesses.The #2 cost about $6 a piece and weigh 1.3oz I think.They don't seam to pull to hard and is easier to read inline boards.When a fish bites the weight tilts and fish comes up easier.The problem with #2 is they bottom out about 27 ft deep.The #3 tadpoles are about $15 a piece and weigh 3oz if need to fish deeper.I don't have any #3 yet,ive just use our old 3oz inline from before.With crankbaites,it is not recommended to use a planer to get lure down like a tadpole or dipsey.You could use the tadpole for spoons with no problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    With crankbaites,it is not recommended to use a planer to get lure down like a tadpole or dipsey.You could use the tadpole for spoons with no problem though.
    You are misinformed, if you think that statement is true. Here's a video on how to rig the Tadpole for running with cranks.

I have tried this myself, here on Erie, and it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmA0NSZBwrQ
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

thanks juls for info.had not seen the tadpoles used like that with the releases.How do you know what depth lure running if you have a dive chart for both the tadpole and the crank?

[QUOTE=Capt Juls;52865]You are misinformed, if you think that statement is true. Here's a video on how to rig the Tadpole for running with cranks.

I have tried this myself, here on Erie, and it works.

Juls,

Do you attach it inline with the clips as shown in the video? Or do you just run a 3'-6' leader off the tadpole? I have always just run the leader right off the diver. Is that incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    thanks juls for info.had not seen the tadpoles used like that with the releases.How do you know what depth lure running if you have a dive chart for both the tadpole and the crank?
    Like you, I don't understand how they are coming up with their "1/2 the length" formula either.

I just tried what was in the video, and it worked. lol
    [email protected]

[QUOTE=BW604;52883]
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post

Juls,

Do you attach it inline with the clips as shown in the video? Or do you just run a 3'-6' leader off the tadpole? I have always just run the leader right off the diver. Is that incorrect?
    When I tried it, I did it just like Mark did in the video...with the clips. I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, because if you catch fish doing it your way...it can't be wrong, right?
    [email protected]

did you use mono or braid? which clip front or rear comes loose when you catch a fish? I wonder if you could lose a tad pole because of the slack line between front and rear clip and the slack from rod line to front clip? I did watch the video a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by wajski View Post
    did you use mono or braid? which clip front or rear comes loose when you catch a fish? I wonder if you could lose a tad pole because of the slack line between front and rear clip and the slack from rod line to front clip? I did watch the video a couple of times.
    No, I used the OR-16 releases with the pin in the center of the pad, so the Tadpole doesn't come off until I take it off. Just make sure the line is behind the pin when you put it in the release. The design of the Tadpole is such that it will dive when it's running, but when a fish hits it, the weight of the fish triggers it, so that the Tadpole isn't in a diving position anymore and not digging while you reel in the fish.

I use mono....it's Sunline Super Natural 16# test (green) (.013 dia.)
    [email protected]