perch bait perch bait perch bait perch bait
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: perch bait

Default perch bait

Guys its time to switch baits. Bait shops are ripping us off. Quality,quality, price. And availability. Seems we are at wits end. Read where one guy got a 2 man limit in a hour using a spoon with a single hook. Think about it. What do the fish see. Sounds like perch fishing through the ice. Bet bait shop would amazingly have shiners and price would lower too. Just a thought.

You think baitshops wanna pay to have Goldie's shipped in ? If they could get shiners they would.

Quote Originally Posted by wkndwarrior63 View Post
    Guys its time to switch baits. Bait shops are ripping us off. Quality,quality, price. And availability. Seems we are at wits end. Read where one guy got a 2 man limit in a hour using a spoon with a single hook. Think about it. What do the fish see. Sounds like perch fishing through the ice. Bet bait shop would amazingly have shiners and price would lower too. Just a thought.
    Google: Fishsens magazine, lake Erie yellow perch bait. Several articles on Emeralds and other options, easy reading.

Quote Originally Posted by wkndwarrior63 View Post
    That guy didn’t say if he was tipping the spoon with bait I'd bet he was. The bait shop are just trying to make a living just like everyone else. I did just fine last year on goldies but haven't tried yet this year. If you find something the perch like better than minnows please do tell.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

We have caught several limits on goldies the last couple years. Last 2 times out limit in 1.5 hours. My own perch rigs. 2 scoops at St. Clair was a little more than 7 dollars. Plenty of minnows.

West ohio end of lake just dosent seem to get shiners like middle of lake does. Marinas are loaded with shiners dont know why bait shop are not hand dipping for them, like they use too. Unless odnr has relations on that?

the shinner buisness is looking to be a lost art for our ohio boats many have given up and got jobs to support there family an j bait still catches his own so he will have bait at his shop before anyone else i think st clair also catches there own so i call anjs if he dont have shinners its most likely we dont have any further west being he supplies most shops i thought the law changed last year so you can transport shinners over the state line it all started when the fish got a disease years ago the fish started dying and floating on top due to this i remember going out and seeing thje fish seems to me it was mostly sheepheads so where does the bait cave in mich get his bait lake mich, huron where are shinners at seems he always had shinners last year i guess i broke the law and did not know since i paid for license on the boat .and a fishing license in mich and ohio we usually go salmon fishing on lake mich for a few weeks looks like a no go this year due to being to busy and buddy that goes just got custody of his 3 kids being special needs for 1 we spend lots of money on bait lures and gas and lodging looks like lake erie perching this year and no shinners i used goldies twice this year got fish but the shops are paying for these goldies so the scoops are small and cost is up

Go to Wal-Mart pharmacy dept. and get a bottle or 2 of the 91% isopropyl alcohol. When you find shiners buy extra and cure them right away with the alcohol. I have the bait store put them into gallon plastic bags with no water. I then put them into a colander and drain them of as much water as possible put them back into the gallon bags and cover with the alcohol and squeeze out most of the air. They will start to cure almost immediately in the alcohol. Just Ice them down for the day and put into freezer when you get home. they will not freeze but they stay nice and cold and firm. This method works with the golden shiners also. It is a lot cleaner and less messy than the salt routine, I think it does a better job also. I use old peanut butter jars to store them in while in the freezer for less chance of alcohol leaks.
    Last edited by wakina; 07-13-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Do you drain the 91% off, or freeze them in it. Thanks

My wife would kill me if she stumbled in to minnows in the freezer 😂