Wheatley/Erieau Wheatley/Erieau Wheatley/Erieau Wheatley/Erieau

Thread: Wheatley/Erieau

Default Wheatley/Erieau

Thinking of running to Wheatley or Erieau in the next couple of weekends to find some bigger walleye and some steelhead. Any suggestions on lures and lure sizes? Cranks or spoons? What are typical trolling speeds for the steelhead? We run off shore boards and use trolling weights, but I may pick up some dipsey #1's to get depth without all the weight.

Also, currently run 16lb sunline mono (thickness of standard 10lb). I've seen guys say they use braid with the dipsy's along with the snubber. Do you need the snubber when using mono?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be willing to give!

I do this every summer and it is by far my favorite fishing on Erie. The school is staging up nice between both ports.

Orange crush, Jerry Lee, blue dolphin, antifreeze are my favorite spoons. I run big dipseys with dipseys rods with 30 # braid and always run a snubber. Mono from downriggers is great and your 16# will work just fine. Check your baits every 15 minutes for fouled spoons. The water flees are thick right now. Best speed is always 3mph unless you have digital a down speed reader from your cannon ball. Lead core line is hot over there right now, 10 color or 100 yds is producing fish. The fish are deeper,, 40 to 50 ft down over 60 fow.

Contact me anytime and I will gladly do my best to help
    Greg
    419-610-7240

spoontang how long do you stay when you go I have done this twice its a good time we pulled a boat up the first time and put in at wheatlley and the 2nd time drove the boat over from marblehead [long ride ] never been to the erieau marina heard its pretty nice the next time we go would like to stay for a few days in the area

Default Thanks

Thanks Greg I appreciate the info! I will give you a call before we head up there, will probably respool with braid and then switch back to the mono in October when the walleye come back our way.

Thanks again!

I stay 1 to 4 nights depending in either Erieau or Wheatley. Erieau has the nicest marina on the lake IMO. I run my boat across from Oak Harbor. The perch are starting to show up on the beach and that is a total blast!

Default perch

Quote Originally Posted by spoontang View Post
    I stay 1 to 4 nights depending in either Erieau or Wheatley. Erieau has the nicest marina on the lake IMO. I run my boat across from Oak Harbor. The perch are starting to show up on the beach and that is a total blast!
    where are these places you are talking about

They are on the Canadian side of the lake. Wheatley is North of Huron and Erieau is North of Cleveland. I've taken 3 trips this season to longpoint and that is North of Erie PA.

thank you sounds like fun

Spoontang......what size spoons?

Quote Originally Posted by spoontang View Post
    I do this every summer and it is by far my favorite fishing on Erie. The school is staging up nice between both ports.

Orange crush, Jerry Lee, blue dolphin, antifreeze are my favorite spoons. I run big dipseys with dipseys rods with 30 # braid and always run a snubber. Mono from downriggers is great and your 16# will work just fine. Check your baits every 15 minutes for fouled spoons. The water flees are thick right now. Best speed is always 3mph unless you have digital a down speed reader from your cannon ball. Lead core line is hot over there right now, 10 color or 100 yds is producing fish. The fish are deeper,, 40 to 50 ft down over 60 fow.

Contact me anytime and I will gladly do my best to help
    Greg
    419-610-7240

I am not a fan of Michigan spoons because they just don't hold up but standard or magnum sizes. Eppinger makes flutter chucks and the size is 4 inch by 7/8 inch and they run great at the higher speeds. I also use Northern King spoons and if I'm not mistaking, the standard size or the only size I have seen.