Need Trolling Advice Need Trolling Advice Need Trolling Advice Need Trolling Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I use 7' med heavy, seems to be better for me. Dragging in those big spinners -sheepshead, I use big board's,but just got some inlines so I think the medium hvy. Will work good with them. I used my high dollar bass fishing rods,but wanted to get rods just for walleye fishing /trolling. After some experiments with different rods, for the price, the New gx2 ugly stick seems to be a good rod.l wasn't a big fan of ulgy sticks, but progress and price has made them a good deal
    Last edited by Frank; 09-18-2016 at 08:33 PM.

If don't put on kicker,get amish outfitter bags that can slow you to 1.0mph when water really cold.I did some research and bought some gear for my friends' first year trolling this year.Wanted to make things as easy as possible to start with.Bought 4 Diawa SG47LC reels and Diawa wilderness rods 8.5ft MH and spooled them 15lb Sunline mono.The rods only cost $16 at fish USA.I think the inline boards much easier to use than the big boards.I would get the offshore boards with the modified taggle flags that go down when a fish hits.I've been using the #2 tadpoles offshore makes past 3 seasons and have worked well for us.Even though they bottom out at 29fow.Get some 3oz sinkers to get deeper than 30ft.Start with worm harnesses with 6ft leader to get enough of and experience with.Can use harnesses through most of fishing season and will usually outfish spoons and crankbaits.Next season can buy two more rods and spool with braid and can fish that with a #1 dipsey.Will learn new stuff every year.Roy and Wakida really are accomplished trollers and have got a lot of good info from their threads.Make sure you read Ohio Game and Fish website also,they have even more info there.

All great advice here...I'd suggest jumping in with someone for the day. 4 to 5 hours of trolling can be so beneficial to learning different trolling situations. Hit me up sometime. I'd be glad to take ya out if I am around and have an open seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eriegardless View Post
    All great advice here...I'd suggest jumping in with someone for the day. 4 to 5 hours of trolling can be so beneficial to learning different trolling situations. Hit me up sometime. I'd be glad to take ya out if I am around and have an open seat.
    In addition to the kind offer made by Eriegardless, you are very welcome to join us on Morning Mist, out of Vermilion, as long as you understand we are going Fishing rather than Catching .... [catching has been real hard for last couple of months]
    Roy Page
    Morning Mist II - Pursuit 3000 Express
    Call Roy Page on Channel 79
    Vermilion Ohio
    YouTube Walleye Fishing Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EdlWtjSet3fYh9