radio channel? radio channel? radio channel? radio channel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radio channel?

Default radio channel?

Good day to all.

Is there a radio channel all of you Walleye.com members like to use? I would just like to be able to say hi, thank you, and share some info if I ever get out on the water. I'm planning on coming up Sunday for 4 days. I hope the weather turns around.

Also wanted to know if for whatever reason my only outboard stalls out on the water and I would need a tow. I would hate to call out on the emergency channels if the conditions aren't life threatening. I'm not sure tow insurance is something I want as I only get to make 1-2 trips a year. worth it if something happens i suppose.

I don't have any reason to think that my outboard would stall but it's amazing what your mind comes up with when you are waiting for the weather to cooperate.

your boat insurance should have tow on it. I belong to a tow service so I get good response if something should happen. Never be afraid of using the radio to call for help. If it is not life threating do not use mayday mayday. The correct call for that it pan pan pan pan. That is in trouble not life threating. Be safe on the water and be educated. I say this respectfully that you maybe a good boater but you have no clue. Call on channel 16, coast guard on 22. rescue marine on 69. Please research safety and rules of the road. Be safe. I care about every boater out there.

one more thing pan pan is pronounced like pawn pawn.

most guys use ch 79 or 68 for talking to other boats. and yes tow insurance is worth the money even if you only fish erie a couple of times a yr. I have unlimited towing and trailer assist with boat us and I think its something like 84.00 per yr. I blew the outdrive on my mercruiser last yr and called boat us on the phone and they sent a tow boat. all I had to do was sign my name and it saved me 650.00. so my insurance is paid for the next 7 or 8 yrs. hopefully you'll never need a tow, but if you break down its pretty lonely out there on the big pond.

I have Progressive insurance, the on water towing add on was like $30 a year…. up to a $3000 coverage. Always check the details of the policy… as always. Trailer coverage for roadside was included automatically, but that is a state by state practice as well.

Thanks all for the info.I now have some clue of what to do. Thanks again for the help guys.
    Last edited by bdrieck; 04-06-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdrieck View Post
    Thanks all for the info.I now have some clue of what to do. Thanks again for the help guys.
    Don't let the message bug ya… they are all reasonable questions and good to ask. I just bought my first radio, and asked as well. It isn't like it comes in the manual, or is just out there on line in an easy place to find. My opinion… knowing to ask, and doing so is having a clue. Good luck out there.

I said in all do respect trying to be helpful but underscoring the fact that you have to know what you are doing before you go out on lake Erie. I thought I was a good boater and safe at one time. And I was a capable boat operator. I am now a Master Captain and can tell you that the average boater does not know ****. There again I put myself in that group of don't know **** before that horrible download of schooling I took. Wish everyone well and I am willing to answer any questions you may have. Fish on!

Quote Originally Posted by BobR View Post
    I said in all do respect trying to be helpful but underscoring the fact that you have to know what you are doing before you go out on lake Erie. I thought I was a good boater and safe at one time. And I was a capable boat operator. I am now a Master Captain and can tell you that the average boater does not know ****. There again I put myself in that group of don't know **** before that horrible download of schooling I took. Wish everyone well and I am willing to answer any questions you may have. Fish on!
    Well said. Thank you for reminding myself and others that we don't have a clue about knowing jack ****. I am happy that your online Master Captaining came with an additional certificate of vanity.

well Ted thank you for the reality check. That did sound a little vain. Saying that was a way to qualify myself as just maybe knowing a little something? I will admit that I do not. If I knew anything I would not have responded to the radio question. You have also taught me to be not helpful and let the people who do know answer the questions give the advice. If you talk to anyone at Channel Grove who knows me they will no doubt tell you what a stupid prick I am. Sorry if I offended you. I am done with this.