Emerald Shiners Emerald Shiners Emerald Shiners Emerald Shiners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emerald Shiners

Blog Entries

Default Emerald Shiners

If you happen to have a few dozen Shiners left over, put them in a plastic bag, on ice, 'til you get home. Add a few TBLS. table salt, nothing more. Gently squeeze out the air. Store them in the freezer for a few days or months. They will not form a solid block but they will be slightly pliable. They become sort of "mummified". Keep them on ice while transporting/fishing. Do not soak them in water and they don't re-freeze well...they get stinky, toss them out.
    Use them on a spreader as usual.

Thanks for this info, Mark.

Blog Entries

Default Little more info

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Teasdale View Post
    Thanks for this info, Mark.
    Some may ask how well they stay on while hooked. I usually double hook them 1). through the eyes and then 2). through the back. The minnows, once frozen in salt, develop a texture sort of like soft leather.
    Another writer said he spreads his minnows out on a sheet pan, salts them and pops them into the freezer-Great idea. I'll try that method next time!

If I have extra shiners. I wash them off, pat them dry with a paper towel then mix them up in corn meal and freeze. They work great. Sometimes I think better then live ones.

Quote Originally Posted by maul35 View Post
    If I have extra shiners. I wash them off, pat them dry with a paper towel then mix them up in corn meal and freeze. They work great. Sometimes I think better then live ones.
    I don't know how everybody else feels but if the fishin doesn't pick up, I'm going to have to bring my shiners home egg wash em, slap on some breading and have them for dinner.

I was told that my buddy's minnow boat has spent 1000 on fuel in the last week or so searching for shiner's got 10 gallon that was 30 a gallon going up to 50 a gallon hes losing money to so heard they might go up again if you want to drive a distance you can get some at I think its fisherman's cave on summit across the state line they can get shinners from the other great lakes that border Michigan not lake Erie shiner's but shiners. might run up and get 100 dollars worth put them in minnow tank

I got 3 scoops of shiners at A&J Baits on Rt. 2 this afternoon for tomorrow, bagged them in a 1 gal freezer bag and buried them in ice in the cooler. They had some but not alot. Was also told that Sinclair minnow boats only got a total of 6 or 7 gallons last night. That is hardly worth the effort if you are trying to make money! Trouble is that in only 8 days we will be having a full moon again to add to the problem of catching shiners on the lake. It sure is not looking pretty for shiners by any means!

DreamCatcher had some earlier but I would suggest that you call to make sure before stopping.
    Stclairmobilebait had some this morning also but once again better call first.
    Rickards had Golden Shiners
    F Wharf had Golden Shiners
    Neither one had Emerald(lake) shiners or even a mix of both. I did not check any other bait Stores.
    Last edited by wakina; 07-23-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

You can also call Hi=Way Baits. He has lake shiners 95% of the time.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by rscotfish View Post
    I was told that my buddy's minnow boat has spent 1000 on fuel in the last week or so searching for shiner's got 10 gallon that was 30 a gallon going up to 50 a gallon hes losing money to so heard they might go up again if you want to drive a distance you can get some at I think its fisherman's cave on summit across the state line they can get shiners from the other great lakes that border Michigan not lake Erie shiner's but shiners. might run up and get 100 dollars worth put them in minnow tank
    Is the difficulty in getting shiners due to the stirred up lake this year and turbidity inshore, the algae coming on earlier, poor shiner spawning due to the weather, something else or combination of all these? I can understand the full moon problem but we have had some calm nights and not a full moon lately so would be interesting to know what is driving their problems...

The older gentleman @ A&J said today that the high water and the rain in combination with the high winds causing clairity problems since the last full moon has been what he thinks is the reason. I asked him if he thought there was an overall population shortage of shiners and he said he did not think so but the lack of catching them would be the current conditions that was causing the problem. I will take his word for it as they also run minnow boats.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip