Fish finder?? Fish finder?? Fish finder?? Fish finder??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish finder??

Default Fish finder??

Looking to buy a new fish finder/ chart plotter combo unit. Which one will give me the biggest bang for my buck???

It will help if you tell us your max $. But, personally, I would buy the biggest Lowrance HDS I could afford with my budget.

Greg

A lot depends on if you are willing to learn a new/different brand than what you know. What are you requirements. They all are comparable for the most part. Everyone has their favorites. Are you able to transfer all your waypoints easily.
    A lot of guys prefer the big screen units, for me I prefer 2 units that equal or exceed the big screen display. This can be a cheaper option, but this way you also always have a back up, zoom in/out is much easier, also adjusting settings. But that is me.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I've had the lcx38chd with the 8" screen for many yrs now and have been very happy. if I was getting a new model and had the $$ I would get one of the new lowrance hds mobels with the big screen. I just love my 8"screen its big enough that I can see all the details but still small enough for my dash. good luck and good fishing.
    sherman

Yup, I have a HDS 5 and if could afford it would have purchased the biggest screen i could. I have used mine for 3 years now and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by PDnaz View Post
    Yup, I have a HDS 5 and if could afford it would have purchased the biggest screen i could. I have used mine for 3 years now and love it.
    i installed an hds9 touch screen last spring and cannot say enough good things about it!!
    i am still learning all the features on it but it is truly awesome......jmo....good luck......

I really like the Lowrance HDS Gen 2 touch. I have the 12" and it is great for using split screen Sonar / Chart

However, in regards to Sonar most units are restricted by the junk transducer that comes with a bundle. My advice is to get a unit without a transducer and buy a decent transducer, you won't regret it and it is the best $ you will spend on the system.

I just got the B21 and it is heads and shoulders above the Lowrance bundled transducer.

-Matt

That's a good point Matt, most stock transducers are junk. I run the air mar b60 and it gets the job done.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by walleye2go View Post
    That's a good point Matt, most stock transducers are junk. I run the air mar b60 and it gets the job done.

Greg
    Greg,

After you said that, I had to look at what I bought. I did get the B60 as well, I got the B60-12 degree tilt. I looked at the B21 and ended up buying the 60.
    It has been great and I've had no complaints. We installed it ourselves in the boatyard a couple years ago.

I'll take a lesser head unit with a good transducer. Putting a transom mounted Lowrance transducer on an HDS Gen 2 touch is like Buying a 30' Sportcraft GLS and using a 5 HP tiller outboard as the only motor.

Lol... Just my 2 cents.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyebob View Post
    Looking to buy a new fish finder/ chart plotter combo unit. Which one will give me the biggest bang for my buck???
    What are wanting to do with it? Do you want to network it through the nmea2000 networking circuitry? If you do then in the Lowrance line you will be limited to the HDS units, if not then you can use the HDI units. You would also need the networking capability to run most of the better Autopilots on the market today. Remember if you are not going to network you will be spending money for features you will not use if you buy the HDS line of chartplotter/sonar combos. I use a stand alone HDS 5X sonar and a stand alone HDS 5M chartplotter. I also have the Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+ Platinum Plus for Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine. Do I like them? Yes and no!

For my style of fishing and for what I use my sonar for, I would not buy another HDS unit, same applies for the GPS/chartplotter. I would go with something of lesser complicity and put the savings into a larger screen and or, more, even better fishing equipment. Here is why! An Airmar B21 will set you back an additional $100.00 and the ever popular B60 will set you back an additional $200.00+. Then the cost of the networking circuitry and connecting cables to make the whole thing work as intended is not cheap either. These are all things that you have to consider when you lay down your money for the different units. Not trying to discourage you from buying a HDS unit but trying to inform you of the added cost in trying to make it all work as intended. Also if you do not fish or boat enough to become totally familiar with the operation of the unit(s), the pages buttons and the different programs, you then have to become a Philadelphia lawyer in order to remember how to use all of those features when you need them without having the manual handy. If you fish every day and use the different functions every day, or at least often enough to be able to become familiar with them then they are worth what you have spent on them if they actually really help.

The statement that the factory supplied transducer for the HDS Units are not very good is actually an understatement. It is my opinion that they are just slightly better than no transducer at all.

It would be nice to be able to link your GPS to your VHF radio in case of emergencies! But on the other hand there are only 3 things that would keep me from doing the same thing manually. First if I could not talk, second & third if either my GPS or VHF is not functioning.

At this time I am in the market for a stand alone unit that offers both a chartplotter/sonar and is basically a turn it on and go fishing unit without all of the bells and whistles, bells and whistles that I will never ring or use anyhow. If the unit shows me where I am at and what is underneath me then that is all that I need to know, it is all that I need!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip