Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looking to go out today from Kelleys. First time out this year. Just trolling 2 lines because i'll be alone. I expect to go north of K.I. shoals. Would appreciate updated trolling speeds and water depths and fishing depth. I will be using spoons and dipseys. Is the size of spoon critical? 2.5" to 3"?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Chuck

You can catch on both sizes, but I've had more luck on the smaller Michigan stinger spoons.

Went out about three hours Monday about noon. North and east of Gull shoal then to K.I. shoal. About 3 hours of nothing but thousands of midges.
    used Pink and purple spoons, 1.9 to 2.3 MPH with dipsies. Worked a depth of 20 to 30 feet of water. Just me with 2 lines out, Not even sheepshead. I think I will wait until I see some positive reports on the forum around Kelleys island.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck E. View Post
    Went out about three hours Monday about noon. North and east of Gull shoal then to K.I. shoal. About 3 hours of nothing but thousands of midges.
    used Pink and purple spoons, 1.9 to 2.3 MPH with dipsies. Worked a depth of 20 to 30 feet of water. Just me with 2 lines out, Not even sheepshead. I think I will wait until I see some positive reports on the forum around Kelleys island.

I was out Saturday northeast of Kelley's for about 5 hours with my dad and my son who is 7 years old. It was extremely slow, but we did manage to pull 3 decent eyes. One went for 27 inches. We were pulling a combination of crawler harnesses and stinger spoons. Two were caught on crawler harnesses with serrated willow blades, and the other was caught on a pinkle/purple spoon. We got some decent marks, but couldn't entice many of them to bite. I think they are still feasting on mayflies. Oddly enough we caught zero junk fish. No white bass, no sheeps, only the 3 walleye. Listening to channel 79 as we were fishing, it sounded like the charters were having about the same luck. Some said they had around 10 Walleye, but I imagine they had more people on board, and consequently more lines in the water. Hopefully the mayfly hatches will be ending soon, and the fishing will get better.

The midges were f***ing terrible out by West Sister on Sunday. I don't know if I've ever had less fun in a non life-threatening day on the lake. It was a beautiful day, just a slow bite and the bugs. We'll be back up on the 16th for a long weekend, hopefully the lake will settle down a bit and the fishing will go back to normal.