The Program for Catching Walleye The Program for Catching Walleye The Program for Catching Walleye The Program for Catching Walleye
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Fishonphil View Post
    Good post Matt, everyone has to start somewhere and it's good to know there are people out there that are willing to help.
    Don't really know if I deserve to be on your list , but thanks.
    Trolling is a whole different ball game that puts fish in the boat and I learn something new each time out.
    I do have a question for you, do you strictly troll now or do you like to drop back to old school and drift and cast?

Cheers
    Lol... I know that you are new, but you contribute and you share. That was the point to my post, I wasn't trying to give any one person credit as much as share a personal experience. You joined this year and engage conversation and share in here quite often.

In regards to trolling or casting... I LOVE the jig bite when it's hot! If I can go limit on a hot jig bite or go trolling for trophies, I'll jig!

There is nothing like going out to the reefs and casting some meat and catching walleye. I love to go out and relax... However, I am not a captain and usually have friends with me that I bring up and they are after the "Walleye of a lifetime" and for me the odds of that monster 32" 15lb walleye being caught are much better if I troll. I have my spinning rods on board all the time.

If I could catch the same class of fish consistently on the reefs during the Summer as I can trolling then I would cast / drift over trolling. You just can't cover the same ground and I don't seem to catch the large class of fish (on a regular consistent basis) when casting.

But, yes, I still love to hold a rod and feel the fish hit!

-Matt

-Matt
    Last edited by Madd Matt; 04-30-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Well you called me out. I am a long time reader and a almost never poster. I couldn't even come close to post programs because my program is your program. I read here everyday and I am out on the lake at least once a week fishing weather permitting, at least 2 weeks after the ice is out. I went out and bought all the equipment including a new Crestliner 20 foot boat maxed out for Erie just to take my friends out on the water. With all the reports from Julius, skipper and the others I have been catching fish like the PROS. Heck my friends say I should take up chartering in my spare time because I show them a great time. A few years ago I caught my first true 31 incher ice fishing and got it mounted but after that I caught 4 more and all released for another day. Now I take my friends out show them the program and I drive the boat, they do all the work. Now my friends all caught there personal best walleyes and all take photos and let them go and think that's the best trip ever. But we fish hard for eaters.

stanton21

Matt, I appreciate the kind words!! I have gave enjoyed every minute I have spent talking with you over the years. I have talked to many of you on this forum and consider all of you my friends. So if you have questions about anything on Lake Erie please give me a call. I am very friendly and always willing to help. You don't ever have to charter us for me to help with information I will share anytime. You can never have two many friends on the water. Please call me if you need anything. 614.327.7144. Thanks Captain Jim

This forum and the folks on here opened up a whole new world for me. Whenever I have asked for help someone has quickly stepped in to give advice. I'm just echoing what has already been said but would like to say thank you to all for helping me learn a whole new style of fishing. The best part is that we catch lots of fish. Keep it up!

Blog Entries

Good morning all I have not posted for a long time but after reading the above posts I am one of the many who love to read about all you guys and ladies (capt juls) who talk about a hobby that I love but only can go out a very limited amount of time I also have learned so much from this site over the many years it has evolved from the days of the (walleye wacker )into one of the best if not the best fishing forum on the Web many thanks also to walleye Rick who I believe does the managing of the site thanks for the pictures of your catches and information on the what where and when's keep the lines tight and the beer cold mblmike.

I am a newbie to this forum. This is actually my very first post, and this thread is the one that got me to pull the trigger to sign-up and ask those what might seem "silly" questions to some. For that alone I say thank you. I am several years out from even getting out there in my own boat. I want to use this time between now and then and learn everything I can on how to do it, when to do it, and how do it right so when the time comes...game on!

So, here it goes...my questions:
    What does "TT" mean?
    What is the difference between Big Boards and Offshores?
    When someone says 30/30 program, what does that mean?
    and I'm sure there will be many more to come...and for that I thank you again!

Welcome aboard Boo!

I'll take a stab at some answers for ya.

What does "TT" mean?

True Trip Divers

Generally but not all the time big boards are ran by bigger boats and the boards themselves are much longer and wider (made from two pieces of wood or plastic composite) than the Offshores which are a lot smaller. The big boards utilize a mask or reel system of heavy line from the boat to snubbers ahead of the boards to run rod and reel lines out on via clips and rubberbands. The smaller Offshore boards clip right on to a rod and reel lines. Google is your friend if this isn't clear

These are part of the lead terms, for this example lets say we are using perfect ten lures. The first number is how many feet of line out before you stop it to install various forms of weights then the second number would be the amount of line let out before you stopped it clip it to a board.

I hope this helps
    Last edited by Fishonphil; 05-03-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishonphil View Post
    Welcome aboard Boo!

I'll take a stab at some answers for ya.

What does "TT" mean?

True Trip Divers

Generally but not all the time big boards are ran by bigger boats and the boards themselves are much longer and wider (made from two pieces of wood or plastic composite) than the Offshores which are a lot smaller. The big boards utilize a mask or reel system of heavy line from the boat to snubbers ahead of the boards to run rod and reel lines out on via clips and rubberbands. The smaller Offshore boards clip right on to a rod and reel lines. Google is your friend if this isn't clear

These are part of the lead terms, for this example lets say we are using perfect ten lures. The first number is how many feet of line out before you stop it to install various forms of weights then the second number would be the amount of line let out before you stopped it clip it to a board.

I hope this helps
    Sure does answer my questions! An your explanation of Big Boards was spot on...Actually I remember being on a charter that was using them. It was the first time I saw somthing like that and seriously thought to myself "Wow those are big boards" not thinking that was the actual terminology!

Blog Entries

Default Catching program

I'm a newbie this is my first year trolling for walleye and fishing Lake Erie I met a captain skipper9 jim who has helped me every step of the way setting up my boat to equipment to buy I learn something new every weekend and now this weekend I'm moving up to the big boards I'm little nervous but I think it will be awesome I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions for him and another great thing is my boat is at channel grove and all the captains there are very helpful I look forward every weekend coming here to fish thanks again jim

This by far is the most helpful and fun to read forum in the Midwest (IMHO). There are so many helpful individuals it is hard the thank them all! I only get to fish the Western Basin a few times per year and find the information here extremely helpful. If anyone is new to fishing the Western Basin (like I was a few years ago) I highly recommend chartering a captain and spending the day learning how to fish the area. I did that my first time, and using what I learned coupled with the great help in the forum I feel like I have a reasonable chance in hooking into some great fish during my limited trips. I'll be out there for my annual trip, launching out of Mazuriks, the weekend of 5/13. If you see a yellow hulled center console at the launch please say hi. If you see me on the water call out to Motownhound (weird name i know ). Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your help the last few years and be safe out there.