catawba boat ramp catawba boat ramp catawba boat ramp catawba boat ramp
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was up at Lakeside this week and I swung by Mazuriks a few times. I didn't see any ice at all. Channel Grove Marina had a "skim" inside the boat ramps, but East Harbor had rolling white caps across the entire harbor because of the West Winds.

-Matt

I wonder what the surface water temp is around there? I remember two years ago I was out in late November and it was cooling down real fast that night. The water in my live well was getting a crust. On my way in, the water was like apple sauce and I ran out of fuel for my main engine, my fuel gauge was stuck. I fired up the kicker and brought it in on that. This cold water makes me just a little gun shy. I do know this I will never go without a kicker.. I figure with some rain water influx, that will get rid of the ice for good.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Looks like it may be a little bouncy tomorrow to try and hold steady enough to vertical jig. They're calling for 1-3's for Saturday and 2ft or less for Sunday. Wondering if I should make the 3 hour trip over Saturday morning or not. Temps in the 20's tonight also, makes me wonder about ice at the ramps. Help me out guys. Anybody local gonna be posting their opinions on whether it'd be worth the trip? I've got a small aluminum. I'm not afraid of 3 footers at all, just don't know if it's fishable with these water temps. I'm sure the fish wont exactly be in a chasing mood.

I would give it a week. The fish are there they always are this time of year. When you say small aluminum what do you mean?
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

I know most of the experienced people who fish this time of year are good to go! This is directed at those new people who may be venturing out this time of year for the first time in those frigid waters. Please make sure that your equipment is in tip top shape, all batteries fully charge and in good condition, fuel tanks if not topped off at least have more than an adequate supply of fuel, all safety equipment in top notch condition and stay constantly vigilant for floating debris. It can be pretty lonely out there this time of year so being prepared for the worse will or can save you some major pucker later.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

That is excellent and wise advice. I do not much care for the pucker factor when on cold water especially. Bouyweather show that Monday should be pretty smooth water. Not sure on precipitation.

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    I would give it a week. The fish are there they always are this time of year. When you say small aluminum what do you mean?
    17' deep V center console. Handles waves fairly well. I'm 50 years old and grew up in a friends' dads' 16 footer on LK. Michigan and Lk. Erie, so I don't consider myself a rookie to big water in small boats by any means. I fished out of my own 16' aluminum on the big water for years, so my 17' is an upgrade for me. Also owned a 19' Nitro bass boat that I fished tournaments in. Was in conditions I had no buisiness being in in that more than once. Done a lot of Coho fishing, dodging icebergs on Lk. Michigan. The 3 hour drive over there for nothing is all that worries me. I know what water conditions I can and can't handle. Just figured that anything over 1 or 2 feet would make it awful tough to make a good presentation in such cold water. Also don't want the boat getting put away soaked after a rain when we've got really cold weather on the way next week.
    Anyone venture out this weekend? I decided to wait for the next window.

Went out Saturday and fished till 1230. Marked alot of fish and only caught 1 18 inch male and lost a better one halfway up. 2-4 footers. Not ideal jigging Conditions. Fished near f can. Alot of guys trolling. Did not see and netting going on