Need Perch Tips Need Perch Tips Need Perch Tips Need Perch Tips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Perch Tips

Default Need Perch Tips

I am relatively new to fishing Erie and starting to get the trolling things figured out. Did ok last couple times anyway, I'm due for a skunk to bring down my confidence...lol Anyway Im going to get to come up around September 1st and try for some perch, if weather permits I'll be bringing my boat. I have read up on and tied some skipper 9 rigs and I realize fish will move between now and then. My questions are more about how to fish for them. When people say d-can ...for instance Is there a ledge or a hole? Do you anchor in the hole or on top and let the wind swing you over it? Do you just anchor up and let them come to you. Ive heard leave the motor running is this true? Do you just run around d-can looking for marks. What about presentation? Should I be jigging the minnow, leave it on the bottom or let the waves provide the action. How many people use attractants like the eggshell thing or is that an ice thing. Sorry all the questions, they just keep popping in my head. Anyways THANK YOU to everyone that contributes to these boards. It makes a world of difference to us guys that get to fish it 2 or 3 times a year.

I've been fishing for Perch (mostly) for about 15 years. I'll give you MY experience and technique, but others have their own opinions.

As for location, pick a spot. Find the fish, you'll catch them. If you're unsure, look for the pack of boats. I generally do better staying away from the pack, or on the outside of the pack (and you don't get dirty looks trying to sidle up to another boat).

For Perch fishing, I almost ALWAYS anchor off the stern. That's dangerous information, because you have to understand your boat, the height of the transom, and the weather conditions. If it's rough AT ALL, or if the waves start picking up, tie off of your bow so you don't sink your boat. The reason for tying off on the stern is to stabilize your boat. Perch fishing seems to work best when you're anchored and not swinging back and forth on your rode.

As for tackle, I use a 3 hook "crappie" rig with Tru-Turn hooks. My wife swears by spreaders with flicker hooks (I usually outfish her). Some days you have to jig to get their attention. Most of the time, I just lower my rig to the bottom, raise it just off the bottom, and gently raise it up and down (my lowest minnow is level with or lower than the sinker). 9 out of 10 fish are caught on the bottom hook. (Jann's Netcraft in Maumee will give you a printout of how to tie (or crimp) the rig that I use).

That's about it. It doesn't get much simpler than perch fishing. Ask the bait shop where they're catching, head out there, anchor, and fill your cooler. I've limited out (2 tickets) in under an hour on a good fall day. (Of course there are the days where I don't... )

I've never used attractants. I have turned the blower on, We crank up the radio at times, I've tried the "fish callers" made from a piece of pipe with a ball bearing inside (jury is still out on that one)

Good luck!
    Last edited by sloch24; 07-30-2015 at 06:48 AM.

I agree with everything sloch24 said, in addition when we talk about the cans were mostly just using them as a refreshed for location. Most of the cans mark the perimeter of the camp perry firing range. The 3 most important things you should look for is water clarity, depth, and weather conditions. Pearch "usually " hang out in depths less than 25', than can b caught in deeper water though. A nice day with wave action of 1 to 3 footers has worked well. Having said all that when u get to the bait store ask where there catching them. It will probably be within a few miles of shore.

Get a sensitive rod and use a lite braid line....like Wakina once said....you can feel a perch fart with that setup! Look for a layer of fish marks on the bottom, it can be a solid line a foot thick when you are on a school. Keep your bait on the bottom, I like to let my weight hit bottom and raise it 6 inches then try to keep it still so I can feel the strike.....if they aren't biting I will let it hit the bottom and slowly raise it 6 inches until I feel a strike or if there appears to be any extra weight then set the hook!

You will have no trouble catching them if you take some advice from this group. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Get a sensitive rod and use a lite braid line

I use a 4.5' ultralight ugly stick, and a Pfleuger President reel. Kind of a weird combination of cheap rod and decent reel, but I love it. You can feel EVERYTHING with that ultralight, and because it's an Ugly Stick, you don't have to worry about breaking it when you catch double or triple sheephead.

I also run PowerPro braided line.

I have about 5 of these combos on my boat, and they work great for me. I started going with the ultralight for my wife who couldn't feel when they were biting light. With the braid there's no line stretch, so you can feel if a perch is just hanging on the line. Set the hook, and you're good to go.

All of the tackle tips are spot on, you should use the rod and reel combos and terminal tackle that you feel most comfortable with. There is at least one other way that I have found to work almost all of the time and that is to let the line down to the bottom with about 4 or 5 inches of slack, enough so that the rocking of the boat does not lift the sinker off of the bottom but not so much that you have to raise your rod up a foot or two in order to feel the sinker wt. After getting it set with the slack just raise your rod tip slowly and pick the weight up off the bottom then back down and wait another couple of seconds and repeat with any added wt. set the hook. This keeps your bait on the bottom and it seems that over the last few years that the perch prefer that over other methods, at least that has been my experience. This is called fishing in the mud, so if you hear that phrase later you will know what they are talking about. See the 3questions thread to view what I use for equipment.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I use braid, I tie a swivel then hook a bell or casting sinker then use a single tru-turn hook #2 or#4. I buy the pre-tie ones they are about 6inches long. I used to use spreaders, crappie rigs you name it ever since I switched I use the single hook. The #2 is the bigger hook and prefer it over the#4. Most of the time I use Wakina's method lifting off the bottom.

I am a rejuvenated lake erie fisherman after a 18 year layoff. I stopped by Netcraft to get some stuff to make perch rigs sloch24 was talking about. They acted like they did not know what I was talking about no prints for the rig, just wanted to sell me some tight line rigs. sloch24 could you post a print of your perch rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Hook-Em Out View Post
    I am a rejuvenated lake erie fisherman after a 18 year layoff. I stopped by Netcraft to get some stuff to make perch rigs sloch24 was talking about. They acted like they did not know what I was talking about no prints for the rig, just wanted to sell me some tight line rigs. sloch24 could you post a print of your perch rig?
    That surprises me. It's been a couple of years since I got the paper from them, but they pulled it from behind the counter like it was something they always have. I'll post a copy of it here, and a picture of a finished rig when I get the chance. I'm hoping to go out on the lake tonight (after work), so it probably won't be today.

I have been using these rigs for about 5 years now, but I switched to using crimp sleeves a few years back. I bought them, the tru-turn hooks and the crimp tool all from Netcraft. I probably have a dozen of them already made up and stored on a tackle-tamer.

Now I feel bad. I never guessed that they wouldn't have that information for you.

Default How to tie a 3 hook perch rig.

The pictures are pretty self explanatory. Make the bottom loop big enough to go through the eye of your sinker, around the bottom, and then sinch it tight.

The top loop is attached to your line with a good quality crankbait snap.

I just used Heavy monofiliment. I'm sure a good quality Fluorocarbon would work very good also.

I also snell my hooks to the line. I do this before I crimp them. Pass the line through the eye with about 1/2" of the tag below the eye. Hold the tag to the shank. Then take the line above the eye, and start wrapping below the eye (about 10 wraps). Last, bring the loose end of the line through the front of the eye, and pull tight. It's that easy. If that's too hard, look up a Palomer knot. It works well too, or you can just use another crimp sleeve, but that seems like a waste to me.

Any questions, feel free to ask! I picked up some perch with the rig in the picture last night.

Need Perch Tips-img-jpgNeed Perch Tips-img_20150802_195931-jpgNeed Perch Tips-img_20150802_200833-jpgNeed Perch Tips-img_20150802_200843-jpg