Snap On Weights Snap On Weights Snap On Weights Snap On Weights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snap On Weights

Default Snap On Weights

Trying to get a handle on how snap on weights affect dive curves. I ahve the precision trolling app but cant find snap ons, maybe im missing it in there?

Read in the past that if run 20ft from bait 1 Oz will add 1/3 the curve, 2 Oz 2/3, and 3 Oz doubles it. Is this accurate?

Recent reports say things like 1 Oz 30/30 or 4 Oz 40/40. Is it correct that 30/30 would mean run 30 ft out, snap on weight and run additional 30 (60 total on line counter )?

If so, how do you determine where that puts your bait?

Example, If I'm running ddhj 12s, their max depth is 19 ft, I'm marking fish at say 30 ft so I wanna put my ddhj at 26ft down how do I determine where to put the weight and how much weight to get that desired depth?

Apprecite any help, thanks!

The best thing to do is download to your phone, precision trolling data. , then lures and snap weights you use . This info will get you to the exact depth you are looking to run your lures.

I use the data found under the Bass Pro tab of the Precision Trolling app. The data is for keel weights. It should pretty representative of snap on weights of the same size.

The Offshore snap on weights appear to be in the Precision Trolling app under "Offshore" when you go to purchase lures & packages.

OK so I have the app...still unclear on the 30/30 example. To calculate overall depth do I add the depth of the Weight at 30ft back to the depth of my bait at 30 feet back because it's 30 back from the weight?

The rule of thumb is that for every 1/4 ounce of weight you add 1 foot of depth so 1 ounce will give you 4 feet. This is the way we run our P10's in the fall. It's not precise but pretty close

Mikecat, if you were referring to my reply on Skipper9's thread when I said I ran 30/30 with one once. You are correct that the line count is 30 from lure to weight and another 30 to the board. I was running bandits and was just experimenting and started catching walleye. I know I was close to the bottom in 27 ft of water because I caught 2 perch while trolling.

Thanks for all the good info everyone! Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by mikecat13 View Post
    Trying to get a handle on how snap on weights affect dive curves. I ahve the precision trolling app but cant find snap ons, maybe im missing it in there?
    Read in the past that if run 20ft from bait 1 Oz will add 1/3 the curve, 2 Oz 2/3, and 3 Oz doubles it. Is this accurate?
    Recent reports say things like 1 Oz 30/30 or 4 Oz 40/40. Is it correct that 30/30 would mean run 30 ft out, snap on weight and run additional 30 (60 total on line counter )?
    If so, how do you determine where that puts your bait?
    Example, If I'm running ddhj 12s, their max depth is 19 ft, I'm marking fish at say 30 ft so I wanna put my ddhj at 26ft down how do I determine where to put the weight and how much weight to get that desired depth? Apprecite any help, thanks!
    I did not see anyone mention that any "weighted" system you use. The depth you will achieve is dependent on boat speed and boat direction taking the diving part of the lure out of the equation. There are many different currents out in the lake that affect diving depth. So a north/south troll depth will typically be different than a south/north troll for example. The reason some use jets, dipsies etc to get a constant diving depth.
    Now to make things easier, clip on your 1,2 or 3 oz weight to your main line and slowly, not free spool till you tag bottom at your desired trolling speed. If you are running diving baits, those should dive deeper than the weight. So now you know how much line out to touch bottom once you tag bottom without a lure, only takes a minute to find. Now you can divide the water column. Pretty much after doing this during one day of trolling you will have a real good idea on how deep your baits are diving and won't need to find bottom again in the future. Boat speed lifts weights, so if you can use this to your advantage if you see marks higher/lower adjust your boat speed to target those fish.
    Some folks stick to the 20/20 or 30/30, some just very each board line back/rear number to cover different depths. 20/10, 20/20, 20/30 for example. Some use the 20/20 and use heavier weights with each closer board to the boat. 20/20-1oz, 20/20-2oz, 20/20-3oz for example. Without finding where bottom is and dividing the water column. Personal preference.
    Hope that helps.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfisher1402 View Post
    The rule of thumb is that for every 1/4 ounce of weight you add 1 foot of depth so 1 ounce will give you 4 feet. This is the way we run our P10's in the fall. It's not precise but pretty close
    Last week while trolling @ 1.5 mph I was running P10 50' of line out, add 1oz snap weight and another 66' of line out. According to PTD the 1oz gets me down 20' and the P10 will run 8' deep with 50' of line out so my lure was @ 28'. We were generally in 30' of water and only hit bottom when we got into water less than 25'.
    Is it accurate to add the depth of the snap weight to the lure depth? The %'s I am reading here seem way too shallow.