looking for the eyes and perch for friday looking for the eyes and perch for friday looking for the eyes and perch for friday looking for the eyes and perch for friday
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default water condition

I fished Pelee Is. yesterday afternoon, water somewhat murky, not bad, some debris in the water, easy to spot, and got my numbers.Nobody else fishing near by.Lake was too rough in the morning, 6 ft rollers, but by 4:00 it laid down to a pleasant NE. walleye chop.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

"The sun helps settle the sand that is clouding the water." ???

Fishing reports I've received are all poor except a few from Canada, and it's slowed down up there too. According to the Modis Satellite the only areas that look to clear significantly this weekend would be NW of West Sister Island and along the border from North Bass to Kelleys. However, there are walleye all around the western basin including much closer to shore. If you want to stay closer to the mainland, because of the light wind forecast I'd try near rocky areas where the mussels will clear the water faster. Not much wind to cause currents to move that water, so as it clears the fish will find it. Maybe the area between South Bass, Rattlesnake, North Bass, and Middle Bass box. Lots of mussels in that zone. Also east of Kelleys. Check the modis every evening and look for areas where the water is starting to clear, even little areas. I'd also try fishing the top half of the water column, even try more muddy water. The visibility down near the bottom is probably near zero in many places so there probably won't be any walleye down there that are active. If there are active walleye they will probably be up in the water column in a zone of visibility that is advantageous to them for catching prey. It's going to be a great weather 4th of July weekend so get out and enjoy it!Good Luck!

The waves at the Channel Marker webcams appear smaller because those cameras are something like 50 feet or more up on the structure. Whatever they look like add a foot or two.

[QUOTE=West Basin;48781]"The sun helps settle the sand that is clouding the water." ???

I had an old Geology Professor who taught at BGSU tell me that when I was in my teens. He explained that a hot bright sun warmed the water around the individual sand particals at a different rate than the sand particals themselves, helping the two separate allowing the sand to fall back to the bottom much faster than if they remained at approximately the same temperature. He went on to explain the water was supporting the sand in suspension and water actually contracts some as it warms and expands as it becomes colder due to the different gases that make up the chemical formula for water. I never questioned his statement and thru obsevation over the years his statement seem to be correct, at least about the water clarity part of it. I hope that heips with your question the question marks implied!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Very interesting!

However, the explanation the professor gave I don't think holds up to the science or physics, so I'll have to check it.

Water is an unusual substance in that it gets denser like other substances when it cools but when it freezes it gets less dense. That's why ice floats on water. Ice is also at it's most dense at around 34 degrees, then starts to expand at colder temperatures until it changes form into ice at 32 degrees. That's why ponds and lakes don't entirely freeze, the dense water stays on the bottom, unfrozen. The only physics that is probably true is sunlight would probably raise the temperature of sand in water a little faster because sand absorbs heat faster than water. Therefore there would be a very slight temperature difference between the sand particle and the surrounding water. How this may make the sand sink faster I don't know, as technically the sand would become less dense (expand) as it warms (very little in this case). This would give it more volume so it would become more buoyant and sink slower.