Planer Board Advice & Weekend Report Planer Board Advice & Weekend Report Planer Board Advice & Weekend Report Planer Board Advice & Weekend Report
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Run all spoons no meat you will catch less junk!

Great advice everyone. Thanks for the input. I'm definitely going to try the rubber bands on the Offshore boards. Thanks for the tip EbiJack.

I run Church Walleye boards, a pair off each side, about 90' to 100' out, running then in tandum about 6' apart, with the same presentation on each board. As long as you maintain a fairly straight line, it is not hard to see when one of the boards has a little extra weight on it as the separation will be quite obvious. On my boat the saying goes "When in doubt, check it out."
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 05-28-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Outdated information, spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    I rub Church Walleye boards, a pair off each side, about 90' to 100' out, running then in tandum about 6' apart, with the same presentation on each board. As long as you maintain a fairly straight line, it is not hard to see when one of the boards has a little extra weight on it as the separation will be quite obvious. On my boat the saying goes "When in doubt, check it out."
    Ed, I've been letting the outside boards out further from the boat. Typically 120 back on the outside board, and then 90 on the inside board. Same as you mentioned (a pair each side). Should I not be doing that? Should they both be let out the same amount of line? Pardon my ignorance, this is my first year running boards.

The closer the boards are together the easier it is to tell when a junk fish has joined your party. Done right it is easy to see a subtle pullback. With a little effort you can avoid tangled lines and hopefully bring more good fish to the boat. Another thing I keep forgetting to mention is a long handled net. (7'-8' is a must) Keep the retrieve out of the prop wash and bring the fish to the net. Don't reach for the fish. And you are right. The farthest board out from the boat is always the longest. See you guys on Friday.....
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 05-27-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Additional text

IMHO If your running inlines or jets or mini disks. Running the boards to close to each other can get you tangles. Besides your trying to find if the fish want the presentation close to the boat ( they are not spooking) or far away from the (very spooky). If your outside board/boards are the main one getting bit, move all the boards further away from the boat. If the inside are getting bit, bring the boards in closer. It's all about covering water, find out what/how the eye's want and then give them plenty of it.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.