Another skunk. What are we doin wrong? Another skunk. What are we doin wrong? Another skunk. What are we doin wrong? Another skunk. What are we doin wrong?

Default Another skunk. What are we doin wrong?

Went out for our 2nd attempt at jiggin this mornin. We fished from 6:30am - noon and and not one fish. Is it slow or are we doin something wrong? We Started out north of turtle creek in about 15 FOW, after marking a few. After a couple drifts and no takers we headed for the reefs. Drifted over locust and crib with no results.
    We used 3/4 oz green, purple, and black hair jigs with minnows and Gulp! Minnows. Tried a purple buckshot, some regular lead with a twister and even tried tight line trolling a bit. We were letting the jig hit the bottom and then slowly liftin about 6-10 inches, then slowly lowering back down.
    I'm tired of coming back to the ramp empty handed. What do we need to do to get some fish on the boat? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Fish On Guys!
    Last edited by fishNtails; 04-24-2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Fix spelling

I was out today until 1:30 I only caught one and missed two had 40 or 50 boat around us plus 4 head boats saw very few netted I am frustrated also but it sounds like you are using the right jigs it will come fish are in transitions right now Good Luck

Not sure what you were doing wrong you might of done everything right they just weren't in there! We went out of Toussaint around 8:30am and fished out front of Bessie in 13 to 16 FOW used purple and John Deere green tipped with shiner and had our 2 man limit by 10am plus caught and extra one and released it. We were casting out and reeling in using a quick snap up about 6-8 inches off the bottom and letting it fall without the line going slack to feel the bites. We caught them all with in the first few reels after casting out and didn't get any hits close to the boat. Maybe try that instead of the slow lifting and dropping. I hope your luck turns around.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNtails View Post
    Went out for our 2nd attempt at jiggin this mornin. We fished from 6:30am - noon and and not one fish. Is it slow or are we doin something wrong? We Started out north of turtle creek in about 15 FOW, after marking a few. After a couple drifts and no takers we headed for the reefs. Drifted over locust and crib with no results.
    We used 3/4 oz green, purple, and black hair jigs with minnows and Gulp! Minnows. Tried a purple buckshot, some regular lead with a twister and even tried tight line trolling a bit. We were letting the jig hit the bottom and then slowly liftin about 6-10 inches, then slowly lowering back down.
    I'm tired of coming back to the ramp empty handed. What do we need to do to get some fish on the boat? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Fish On Guys!
    How fast are you drifting? Speed is really important while jigging. It also sounds like the bite has been in closer so you might try that also.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by bryan34 View Post
    Not sure what you were doing wrong you might of done everything right they just weren't in there! We went out of Toussaint around 8:30am and fished out front of Bessie in 13 to 16 FOW used purple and John Deere green tipped with shiner and had our 2 man limit by 10am plus caught and extra one and released it. We were casting out and reeling in using a quick snap up about 6-8 inches off the bottom and letting it fall without the line going slack to feel the bites. We caught them all with in the first few reels after casting out and didn't get any hits close to the boat. Maybe try that instead of the slow lifting and dropping. I hope your luck turns around.
    Yea that's something we could try. We have just been doing the vertical jiggin both fast and slow. Do they hit hard or very soft? I've heard conflicting reports.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    How fast are you drifting? Speed is really important while jigging. It also sounds like the bite has been in closer so you might try that also.
    We are drifting fairly slow and use a drift sock. Not sure on the exact speed, but are lines seem to stay vertical. As for closer, we tried up in 12 FOW out in front of Crane Creek last week with no luck as well.

I'm new to fishing lake erie and am trying to pick up all the subtle details to put more fish in the boat.

Thanks for the help.

We were out front of crane creek the other weekend. We were in very close in the super muddy water there that weekend. All the way down to 9 ft. We got there late and only grabbed s few but other ppl we fish got limits in there. This Friday we were out in front of besse in 14, 15 foot. Between us and the 2 boat right behind us we counted about dozen fish netted in less than 30 mins, but the sun went behind the clouds and just like a switch it was done.

So far for us this year there has not been much pattern to the jig or troll. Just findin what works that day.

try a hard quick snap, casting out and snapping it back to boat i got limit and lost a monster that i could not get away from out drive think it cut off on prop. purple 1 oz hair jigs no minnows buddys used minnows between the 2 of them 1 guy 2 fish other nothing. maumee bay on the humps seems to be better then east though we did pull a couple limits off Niagara earlier weekend before last, got a big male today 28 incher full of milk. some time you just have to get the feel for it and remember feel it hit bottom a lot of my jigs have the paint coming off due to banging the rocks find it what size jigs you use it was a little choppy out of east today so i used 1 oz all day there is a ton of boats there lots of charters stick with it you will get them

Quote Originally Posted by fishNtails View Post
    Yea that's something we could try. We have just been doing the vertical jiggin both fast and slow. Do they hit hard or very soft? I've heard conflicting reports.
    Well to me it all depends on your rod action. I have a quantum 6'6" medium light action rod and I could feel every little bump and when I had a strike it felt pretty hard as for my brother he had a heavy action 6'6" ugly stick and was missing them cause he could barely feel the strike and the ones he did catch was hooked by the stinger. So to me that's a big difference in saying or knowing weather you think they are hitting soft or hard. I hope this helps.