Artificial baits for perch? Artificial baits for perch? Artificial baits for perch? Artificial baits for perch?

Default Artificial baits for perch?

Just curious if anyone only fishes with artificial baits for perch this time of year? If so what seems to work best for you. I've always just used a spreader with emeralds in the past but was just curious as to what's out there to try as far as artificial baits go. Thanks

I grew up fishing Lake Michigan for perch and we fished using small inline spinners dragged across the bottom. We would fish with minnows and soft claws. The spinners always caught the jumbo's. I have tried it here on Erie and same results. I was averaging 9 in. on spreaders and 12 in. with the spinners. Now I have only made it out twice for perch so far this year but plan on fishing much more next month. I'm having relatives sending me a supply of soft claws and plan on letting everyone know if they work here like the did back home in Chitown.

the sheephead will love them soft clows

Quote Originally Posted by emeade85 View Post
    Just curious if anyone only fishes with artificial baits for perch this time of year? If so what seems to work best for you. I've always just used a spreader with emeralds in the past but was just curious as to what's out there to try as far as artificial baits go. Thanks
    One day I thought I'd try something different so I tied a small white tube jig on one side of a spreader with a shiner on the other hook just to see if the perch would hit the tube. the short answer.....No. I caught lots of perch on the shiner but the only time I got one on the tube was a double. I think the perch would hit the tube after one was hooked on the shiner. I have never tried it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jvollmar View Post
    the sheephead will love them soft clows
    I think so too, as the golbies sure did on lake Michigan. I used minnows there until I found the perch then switch over. I expect every fish would take them. We'll find out and I will let you know.

Thanks for the info. What colors seem to work best?

Quote Originally Posted by emeade85 View Post
    Thanks for the info. What colors seem to work best?
    If you were talking to me about the small inline spinners dragged across the bottom, chartreuse was best, gold did very well some days too and solid white. I would add that the water was much clearer there then here on Erie. So I'm gonna try some purple here, along with the colors mentioned.

Although I never tried them, small Blue blades were all the rave a few years ago! I believe they were on a snelled hook like the ones that are available today with either silver or gold blades. Most were home fashioned as none were available commercially that I know of. Maybe some still use them!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Do you have a picture of one of those rigs by chance?