Honesty @ fish cleaners Honesty @ fish cleaners Honesty @ fish cleaners Honesty @ fish cleaners

Default Honesty @ fish cleaners

During a recent trip for perch, I decided to get our fished cleaned rather than doing them myself. We fished the same area each time and fish were basically the same size each time. I took our fish to cleaner "A" and had them weighed. I thought at the time they weighed more than I thought they would but was happy as the fish must have just run larger than I thought. I took the next batch to the same place and ended up with the same weight. The next day there were 4 of us in the boat catching the same run of fish. These fish were given to the people that went with us. They took them to fish cleaner "B". I told him I bet the fish would weigh twice the amount our two person limit had been. When I asked what his fish weighed, I was surprised that his total was about 20% less than I had figured. That got me to thinking something wasn't right. I took our next two person limit to fish cleaner "B" and low and behold it was about 20% less that it had been running at fish cleaner "A".
    I have been perch fishing for more years than I care to brag about and know darn well those fish did not vary 20% in weight. Something is wrong and I kinda think someone may have a finger on the scale so to speak. I wish there was something that could protect people from this kind of indirect theft. I don't mind paying for honest services and get pissed when I feel like I have been cheated. I don't like any kind of Government interference but, maybe someone needs to be working on this problem. For me, fish cleaner "A" will never see me again but how many other people will get cheated without knowing about it.

I think unfortunately this is now the world we live in. In so many aspects of life, someone is always tring to swindle the good American ppl. It seems everyday there are less and less straight up honest businesses and ppl for that matter.

I would think if you feel wronged and have enough proof to you, then I would tell everyone about it

I for one would appreciate hearing who to keep an eye on.

Praise for good, condemnation for evil.

LETS KEEP THEM HONEST !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    I think unfortunately this is now the world we live in. In so many aspects of life, someone is always tring to swindle the good American ppl. It seems everyday there are less and less straight up honest businesses and ppl for that matter.

I would think if you feel wronged and have enough proof to you, then I would tell everyone about it
    At this time, I have no real proof, just a VERY STRONG idea that its not right based on experience and logic. I would like to have a known weight taken to them but, what am I to do then? Its just my word against theirs. I am suggesting everyone pay attention to the possibility and if they suspect the same as I suspect stop using that fish cleaner. They depend on us for their $. If enough people find out, it will take care of itself. They my possibly get wind of these discussions and change their ways before getting exposed which, in my book would be a victory as well.

The people I use set the basket on the scale and "O" the scale out then put your perch into that same basket and put it back on the scale. They have done this every time I have stopped there. Unfortunately I think you are guessing without having actual weight, but to really be sure just put an extra scale in your trunk and weigh your fish before taking them inside then you will know for sure. My bigger concern is how much fillets you really get back....with some cleaners I get 10-15% less returned fillets than thru my regular cleaner. They do charge a little more but have less waste and nicer fillets.

This is not absolute but it will give you a fair estimate as to what your catch should weigh per limit. The skinny 7 inch fish will weigh between 6 and 7 lbs, heavy bodied perch in the 7 inch size and the 8 inch skinny perch will weight about 8 lbs per limit. Full bodied 9 inch or a limit of skinny 10 inch perch. will weigh between 9 and 10 lbs.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

One thing that can be checked is to look for the current year county auditor's certification on the scale. I don't think it's legal to use a scale for commerce unless it is inspected. It will look like the auditor's stickers that are on gas pumps.

Default Dressed Wt.

Quote Originally Posted by MageeEast View Post
    One thing that can be checked is to look for the current year county auditor's certification on the scale. I don't think it's legal to use a scale for commerce unless it is inspected. It will look like the auditor's stickers that are on gas pumps.
    I was told by one cleaning service perch will dress about 40%, Anyone else have an opinion ?

Dennis

8" and bigger perch scaled should dress out at 50%