Bad weather Bad weather Bad weather Bad weather
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad weather

Yes I am sick of the wind. The little lady just asked why I am not fishing as much this year. Said she was starting to think. .. and I kinda rudely cut her off. Then I apologize and try to explain the wind speed and waves...lol Oh well it is what it is. Better days ahead next week maybe?

Yep, mother nature is winning for sure this spring. Purchased the new rig last summer, fished through mid November. Been enjoying the freezer since then but was ready to restock this spring. 0 times out so far and sat down this winter to tie jigs. Accomplished 150 jigs and not one dropped in the water. Guess I'll be ready for spring 2018. Lol Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    Living in WI and looking for a three day window to make a trip over, and hope to fish all three days - have not found one yet. I could be missing out, but not being fully sure of how much wind can be tolerated I mix in all the east wind, and it pretty much eliminated April. Even this coming week, just doesn't work for me to make the trip solo in my 17' boat.

Can't say how bummed I am about it. Getting here was suppose to be my 2017 bucket list thing. The big spring trip.

Now as we get into May, not even sure if my trolling cranks option is a good one? I assume jigging gets skinny now.
    What drives the minnow versus crawler bite is water temp. In my experience, water temp over 50, I go to crawler harnesses. Even then, blade baits work usually throughout may.

Well, I'll share the blame for the lousy weather also. A week ago Monday, I got mine ready to go, and it has been blowing ever since, mostly from the East. I was at least a couple weeks later than usual getting ready to go, and now I'll be close to a month late for my first trip due to weather. Oh well, it is spring in NW Ohio.

good chance this blow may actually lower water temp in western basin and postpone the worm harness bite a week or two.Will probably take till next week till bite picks up again due to the blow.

As if this week isn't bad enough, check out what might be in store for next couple weeks if this decides to park over North East (hint - temps 10-20 below normal):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.594a68088caf
    Last edited by LEfriend; 05-02-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Looks like tomorrow will be cold but calm enough to get out. Planning on leaving early unless the winds are still raging. WindAlert (great free app) has 26mph at the lighthouse and 32mph at Put in Bay still but it's supposed to die quick through the night. Thursday through the weekend looks rough. I've always wanted to invite my old friends out to stay at my place and fish Lake Erie for a few days but this is exactly what makes that impossible. You can't predict when the lake will let you take its bounty... Anyway, if we get out tomorrow it'll only be for a few hours but I'll post a report. My report will likely be useless though if the forecast is correct...

Well that was fun... Basically went birding instead of fishing. Drove down to a few areas to look at the lake and its rough with not a single boat out. Had hopes we'd catch a small fishable window and fail...

With all this wind consider all the lost days fishing this spring for the charters captains.Difficult to make up these days later and all the income that is lost.Also for local economy.Hotels,bait stores,fish cleaners....

Quote Originally Posted by itsbob View Post
    With all this wind consider all the lost days fishing this spring for the charters captains.Difficult to make up these days later and all the income that is lost.Also for local economy.Hotels,bait stores,fish cleaners....
    Agreed. Sport fishing is huge to the economy around here and you can't make these days up. They're just lost...