Western Basin Areas Western Basin Areas Western Basin Areas Western Basin Areas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Western Basin Areas

Hi: Spent last summer fishing from a marina in West Harbor (Marblehead). This was my first season with my own boat (Sportcraft 27'). I had decent luck with walleye and pretty good luck with perch. I am considering moving west to Meinke's. I do not have a boat trailer, so I'll most likely fish the whole season from one spot. Meinke's is much less expensive than where I am at Marblehead which is a draw. But, it is further from home base which is the west side of Cleveland. What are the benefits/drawbacks from fishing the far west western basin vs. the islands area? I's love your input. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stlouisloui View Post
    Hi: Spent last summer fishing from a marina in West Harbor (Marblehead). This was my first season with my own boat (Sportcraft 27'). I had decent luck with walleye and pretty good luck with perch. I am considering moving west to Meinke's. I do not have a boat trailer, so I'll most likely fish the whole season from one spot. Meinke's is much less expensive than where I am at Marblehead which is a draw. But, it is further from home base which is the west side of Cleveland. What are the benefits/drawbacks from fishing the far west western basin vs. the islands area? I's love your input. Thanks.
    I have been fishing the western basin for 30 years. I am docked at turtle creek which is east of Meinke's. The fishing is a lot better here. We also have some docks open for 27 footers

West Harbor has got to be about the best all season home base in the western basin. We travel a little west in early spring, and by mid summer we're travelling a little east to catch fish. And the perch fishing around the islands last year was the best we've ever seen. Marinas in West Harbor might be a little more expensive, but they are also a hell of a lot nicer than most other areas. Why would you want to leave?
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

I am and have been docked at Meinke West for 30 years, never had a problem filling the freezer, Maumee Bay, the Reefs , West sister Island are a short distance for Walleye , The channel all the way out to the Turnaround Bouy is great for Perch, or if you prefer to head east the cans A,B.C, etc are also within reason . It is a family owned and run Marina they are great and will help you in any way.
    There are about 50 Charter boats in the Marina also and they would not be there if the fishing was not good.
    My dock is $675 just paid it for coming season, I have Electric and Water at my Dock

I to dock at Meinke's West. Been there almost as long as Capt Tacky. Everything he says is true. I like that there is also a lot less traffic during the weekends.

Loui, If you bring your boat west primarily for fishing, I can't think of anywhere better for fishing to be other than WildWings or one of the marinas in Turtle Creek. Early season trolling in Feb. is when you'll have your best chance of catching the biggest walleye of your life on the reefs, jigging less than a mile from the marina entrance in Mar. April is when everybody is catching all those 11+ pound 32" wallhangers in front of Davis-Bessie. May drifting and casting weapons in front of Crane Creek is going to be crazy with 16+17" walleye this year.....and nobody talks about how stupid the night trolling is all the way threw until the mayflies hatch! By the time the bite gets tough in July, you should be tired of catching walleye. I think the only drawback is a good showerhouse if you want to spend the weekend on your boat, everything else is here gas, bait, fish cleaning and food.

x2 on Prkr's post there are places to dock and possibly camp in the TC area. Give them a lookover this spring.

Gene

Hey Pzeiler and capt tacky how bad are the zebra mussels on your outdrive at the end of the year. I dock on the main channel reno beach side and I get a lot on mine I'm wondering if it's being on the channel as apposed to back in the dock channels. A friend of mine docks off the tousaint where wakina is and he gets none on his but maybe because that flows out.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

I have very few. Maybe a handful that collect around one of my depth finder probes off the back of the boat.

They are not bad .the mussels do not attach to the bottom . I have my bottom with barrier coat and bottom paint have not had to do anything but power wash it. I do have a few on the out drive but they easily wash off I don't think they are worse here than anyplace else on the lake.
    Pkr 314 is a friend of mine and what he said is all true also..
    THE Bigest thing if I were you to consider is if you move to Meinke West it is a additional 45 minute drive each way to your boat. Would that influence and how much you would use it....for me it is only 7 miles from home .
    I am on G slip they have 30 ' between docks and can easily handle boats to 40 ' long . Water and electric at the dock.
    I wish you well with your decision. What ever you choose the next few years are going to be great with the recent large perch and walleye hatches