GPS/ Fishfinder GPS/ Fishfinder GPS/ Fishfinder GPS/ Fishfinder
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS/ Fishfinder

Default GPS/ Fishfinder

I am looking to upgrade the HDS 5 I have currently. I was looking at the HDS 8 Gen 2 with the structure scan. First, is the structure scan necessary?(only fish the islands for walleye) Second, what do you gentlemen think of the Lowrance in general. I have been happy with the old unit...just looking for advice. I know this belongs in a different forum, no one seems to look down there until spring...
    Thank you,
    Glenn

We just installed the HDS7 Touch over the winter. Haven't been able to use it on the water yet, but it looks to be a hell of a nice unit. I know the general consensus on this board is that the structure scan isn't necessary on Erie, but we don't solely fish Erie so we put that hideous transducer on the boat for the striper trips to Cumberland and Norris. You could add it later if you want it, and I certainly am not saying not to get it. It was included with ours so we put it on, which brings me to my next point.

Depending on if you want a touch screen or not, all of the HDS Touch units come with structure scan, meaning you don't have to find a spot for that big ass module that you need with the regular units. The module is really unnecessary, it's HUGE, and you can network everything with NMEA 2000. Check their website and make sure to check process EVERYWHERE. We got ours from some body dealer in Florida that was selling them online for about $200 less than the going rate at the time, plus there was a rebate at the time as well. I just checked their website, the only rebate they have now is for a hard water sonar, but seeing as they're bringing out the HDS 3 now, you should be able to find a Gen 2 at a reasonable price.

If you'd like, I can try to find the website of the dealer we bought from. They also had the point-1 Baja antenna for about $25 bucks less than anywhere else I found it.

Good luck. Sorry to be long-winded but I put in quite a bit of time researching this stuff last year, just want to make sure you're informed because there's so much crap it can get confusing.

Edit: If you're not opposed to the touch screen, the HDS9 Touch is actually a smaller unit (10.43" wide x 3.32" deep x 6.65" tall) than the HDS8 (10.6" wide x 3.7" deep x 7.8" tall) even though it's got an inch larger screen. It's also only $50 more for the HDS9 Touch than the HDS8 bundle that includes the Structure Scan module (which you don't need with the HDS9 Touch).
    Last edited by Hoytman86; 01-28-2015 at 12:39 PM.

Thank you Hoytman,
    Where did you see the HDS 9 Touch for only $50. more than the HDS 8 bundle? Are they both Gen2 and did the structure transducer come with HDS 9 as well?
    Last edited by Big Trouble; 01-28-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo

You're right on the price, that's my mistake. The bundle with the structure scan transducer has an MSRP of $1,999 whereas the HDS-8 bundle is $1,699. The base unit doesn't come with that transducer, but it has an MSRP of $1,749.

I don't know why I was thinking the structure scan ducer was included, that's my mistake. Cabela's has each bundle for those respective amounts right now but I'll try looking for that website tonight to see if they have a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thursday View Post
    I am looking to upgrade the HDS 5 I have currently. I was looking at the HDS 8 Gen 2 with the structure scan. First, is the structure scan necessary?(only fish the islands for walleye) Second, what do you gentlemen think of the Lowrance in general. I have been happy with the old unit...just looking for advice. I know this belongs in a different forum, no one seems to look down there until spring...
    Thank you,
    Glenn
    is your old unit broke? If so you can send it in for repairs and you will have an option to upgrade to a newer unit at a reduced price. I run a hds 12 touch gen2 and love it.

I would break your current unit and do as Skipper9 says! Just kidding. Check your PM, Blue. When I found the lower price on ours, I went to Lowrance.com and found the bundle we were looking for and copied the model number and just Googled that. That usually will bypass all of the reviews, message boards and listings with different bundles.

Is there any limit on how old the unit can be Skipper?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
    I would break your current unit and do as Skipper9 says! Just kidding. Check your PM, Blue. When I found the lower price on ours, I went to Lowrance.com and found the bundle we were looking for and copied the model number and just Googled that. That usually will bypass all of the reviews, message boards and listings with different bundles.

Is there any limit on how old the unit can be Skipper?
    I dont think so. It doesnt cost anything to make a phone call

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind when shopping for one to go in the duck boat.

Nothing wrong with the unit I have Skipper...A buddy of mine wants it so I gave it to him for more than a fair price. Do you believe the structure scan is unnecessary as well?
    Thank you all

look on the net for The GPS Store. They have pretty good discounted pricing. I bought a Garmin 12" touch a couple years ago at the cheapest price I could find. This year I am upgrading to a chirp sonar module and an airmar 1000W chirp trans. Airmar runs about the same price everywhere but sonar is the cheapest place again.