portable marine radio recomendations portable marine radio recomendations portable marine radio recomendations portable marine radio recomendations

Default portable marine radio recomendations

I am researching portable marine radios was looking for recommendations or things to avoid. I get out less than 10 days a year and possibly this year have 2 boat options so was looking to go portable so I could take either boat. I would typically stay in Western basin - not Canada but some Michigan and want to try Detroit River this spring. I am looking at the model that can do 6 watts and floats - around $100.

thanks, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by webso5 View Post
    I am researching portable marine radios was looking for recommendations or things to avoid. I get out less than 10 days a year and possibly this year have 2 boat options so was looking to go portable so I could take either boat. I would typically stay in Western basin - not Canada but some Michigan and want to try Detroit River this spring. I am looking at the model that can do 6 watts and floats - around $100.

thanks, Mark

Personally, I had a UNIDEN hand held that I used on lake Erie when I was on my 28' speed boat. I thought it did an OK job until I broke down and tried to use it to call a tow boat. It was capable of 6 watts TX but I still could not contact them. So I had to get help from another captain and have them relay the information for me. After that I installed a built in and a whip antenna. Nearly the same cost and much better performance. I ended up using that thing on every lake we went to. I did not know how handy they were until I got one.

Save your money and make the investment to get a good built in radio and antenna. It could save your life... Especially on LAKE ERIE as it can change in minutes or you could hit something and need it really quick.. Just my opinion.

X2 on going with a fixed mount and a good antenna. a hand held is good for a very short distance or around the docks. but just doesn't have enough range for erie. and remember the antenna is the heart of the system. get a good antenna to start with and you'll be happy. the Shakespeare 5225 xt is a great antenna. about 110.00 on ebay.

I bought a cheap radio and a cheap antenna when I started. and I thought it was good, but I wasn't real happy with it. then I kept reading how important the antenna was. so I started doing some research and found the same information. I kept the cheap radio and upgraded my antenna. boy am I glad I did. my system is a whole new world. I can talk much farther than I could with the cheap antenna.