Perch Report: Saturday Aug 17, 2015 (Maumee River  Shipping Channel) Perch Report: Saturday Aug 17, 2015 (Maumee River  Shipping Channel) Perch Report: Saturday Aug 17, 2015 (Maumee River  Shipping Channel) Perch Report: Saturday Aug 17, 2015 (Maumee River  Shipping Channel)

Default Perch Report: Saturday Aug 17, 2015 (Maumee River Shipping Channel)

Started in about 19 FOW in front of little cedar point. When we got there the sun was just coming up, and there was only one other boat within sight. We weren't marking any fish, and didn't catch anything in about 45 minutes, so we moved. There was a pack about half way between little cedar point and the harbor light. We fished there for a while with no luck, then moved out to buoy 14 past the harbor light right off the channel on the South side. We picked up about 30 fish, one of them a 12". I also caught a 19" smallmouth. That might only be the second one of those I've ever caught perch fishing in 15 years.

About 12:00, the lack of wind and cloud cover ran us in (we forgot sunscreen).

Going back out tomorrow morning to try again. I heard reports of the green and white buoy doing well also. It seems that they aren't in quite as close anymore.

Good luck to everyone! It looks like it's going to be a great week for fishing.
    2003 Wellcraft Coastal 270

Blog Entries

Default Thank you...

Your report is an honest reflection of what we have here in the western basin. I sense that you will be on a Perch Feeding Frenzy when the waters cool and the bigger ones arrive. By mid Sept you'll see the jumbos. Just a thought, if nothing is marking after 10 minutes this time of year, you might want to make a move.
    Quote Originally Posted by sloch24 View Post
    Started in about 19 FOW in front of little cedar point. When we got there the sun was just coming up, and there was only one other boat within sight. We weren't marking any fish, and didn't catch anything in about 45 minutes, so we moved. There was a pack about half way between little cedar point and the harbor light. We fished there for a while with no luck, then moved out to buoy 14 past the harbor light right off the channel on the South side. We picked up about 30 fish, one of them a 12". I also caught a 19" smallmouth. That might only be the second one of those I've ever caught perch fishing in 15 years.

About 12:00, the lack of wind and cloud cover ran us in (we forgot sunscreen).

Going back out tomorrow morning to try again. I heard reports of the green and white buoy doing well also. It seems that they aren't in quite as close anymore.

Good luck to everyone! It looks like it's going to be a great week for fishing.

Fished same area as sloch24. Started southeast of the harbor light and got 4 perch but about a dozen sheephead.. Moved to beyond the light also on the south side of the pack. We fished from 9:30 -2:45. Got our 2-man limit but needless to say a slow pick of smaller fish. Lots of throwbacks but less junk. Better action was after 1:00 until we limited. 60 fish were 13.3 lbs at cleaners. Whole goldies on spreaders with no bling.

I just came back from the same area. We should have moved. We were fishing buoy 14. We probably caught a couple of hundred fish, but only 21 that were worth keeping.

We were the 3rd boat in the area, and there were probably 40 or so boats there by the time we left.

At the bait shop, I spoke with someone who was at buoy 13 (buoy just past the harbor light) and caught 180 keepers.

Oh well, maybe next time!

OOPS! I just realized I got the date wrong yesterday when I posted!

I meant Saturday, August 15

SORRY ABOUT THAT!