trolling cranks? trolling cranks? trolling cranks? trolling cranks?

Default trolling cranks?

Hey guys I am wondering how I get my cranks to the 45 to 55 foot range without using wire or leadcore. I always use dipsy and inline wieghts of off my offshore boards but I would really like to learn the deep diving crankbait fishing.i mainly am using lures that dive to 20 and 30 feet. Thanks for the help

I use Dipsy's a lot also and just use the chart that came with it when bought new. Dipsy packaging has that tri-fold depth chart they include. Now when targeting a depth I use the chart and add whatever the crank dives to it.
    I wouldn't consider myself very proficient at filling the cooler with cranks as we use harnesses the most. But I know the charter boats use mostly hard baits and very successful at it. So hang in there I'm sure one of the guys here will share their wisdom.
    20' Sea Ray

Thanks for the response.for some reason I have myself so confused about the snap wieghts that you can add.im not sure how deep they will add to the dive

Quote Originally Posted by zipper View Post
    Hey guys I am wondering how I get my cranks to the 45 to 55 foot range without using wire or leadcore. I always use dipsy and inline wieghts of off my offshore boards but I would really like to learn the deep diving crankbait fishing.i mainly am using lures that dive to 20 and 30 feet. Thanks for the help
    Can only comment on ReefRunners, which have an unassisted max dive depth of somewhere around 25ft with well over 100 ft of line out.
    To get them down to 40 ft and more, we use a weight forward drop weight hanging on the line with a rubber band.
    We let out 20ft, then put either a 2oz or 3oz drop weight on the line and then let out to whatever length gives us the depth needed.
    I have a chart which we made up and I will try to post it here later when I put my hand on the original.
    Roy Page
    Morning Mist II - Pursuit 3000 Express
    Call Roy Page on Channel 79
    Vermilion Ohio
    YouTube Walleye Fishing Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EdlWtjSet3fYh9

What particular cranks are you talking about

Thank you so much roy. I am planning on pulling reef runner 800 and I have smith wick top 20s.i am always using dipsy and harness and inline boards with inline wieght but really want to pull cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by zipper View Post
    Thank you so much roy. I am planning on pulling reef runner 800 and I have smith wick top 20s.i am always using dipsy and harness and inline boards with inline wieght but really want to pull cranks.
    You can't run deep divers behind dipsies...the lure would be pulling the back of the dipsy down and therefore not allow it to dive correctly.

My experience pulling Reefrunner 800's, using snap weights, you get about 4' of extra depth per ounce of weight. So, as an example, if you let out 50', snap on 3oz wt, let out another 150', you should be down about 40' (28' for RR + 12' for the wt)

I have run as much as 4oz with the Reefrunners, and still pulled them behind the Offshore boards. The boards will be standing up at a steep angle, and be trailing farther behind the boat than normal. I also have added extra weight in the bottom of my boards to help them track better. I think I added about 2 or 3 oz of pencil lead into the channel and then put silicone caulk to hold it in permanently.
    Hope this helps you some.

Good luck man !!

Thank you for that info I really appreciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Page View Post
    Can only comment on ReefRunners, which have an unassisted max dive depth of somewhere around 25ft with well over 100 ft of line out.
    To get them down to 40 ft and more, we use a weight forward drop weight hanging on the line with a rubber band.
    We let out 20ft, then put either a 2oz or 3oz drop weight on the line and then let out to whatever length gives us the depth needed.
    I have a chart which we made up and I will try to post it here later when I put my hand on the original.
    I found the original Trolling Depth Chart that I made up a while ago for use on our boat "Morning Mist"
    The chart was put together using many sources of UNPROVEN information and data.
    The chart numbers are all referenced from Trolling Depths Required in 5ft intervals from 10 to 40 feet down.
    It does not contain depths for the ReefRunner 800 Series crank using a 3oz weight.
    P10 info is there to remind us how we can use them.

We use it and we catch Walleye!! [and Sheephead, White Bass ... lol]

Use it completely at your own risk.
    Here is a link to the chart >>
    http://www.g4dyr.com/images/dive_curves.jpg
    Last edited by Roy Page; 07-24-2016 at 07:43 PM.
    Roy Page
    Morning Mist II - Pursuit 3000 Express
    Call Roy Page on Channel 79
    Vermilion Ohio
    YouTube Walleye Fishing Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EdlWtjSet3fYh9

Thank you very much roy. That helps alot