Large fish on topwater Large fish on topwater Large fish on topwater Large fish on topwater
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Large fish on topwater

We were out drift fishing yesterday afternoon around Gull Island Shoal. We noticed several times large approx. 30+inch fish broaching the top water. The fish were at least 50 yards away and seemed to be coming up repeatedly and moving at a steady pace and covering some ground. It was hard to tell what kind of fish they were. By the way, they were not Cormorants! They seemed to possibly be eating the dead Mayfly's that were floating together in the currents and in large quantity. Any thoughts??

I know it may sound crazy. But it could be carp. I see them from time to time form a loose ball/school on top during the summer months. And if there is a free meal on top so much the better. When I was younger (and had extra time) we would actually fly cast to them from a boat & into the school trying to catch them. We caught a few. Real fun on a fly rod. We also would take a bowfishing rig & take them that way as well.

Not saying that's what you saw. But it could be 1 explanation.

Good luck & be safe!

I caught a bunch of fish this past weekend pulling spoons and cranks straight through the center of the hordes of dead mayflies. Everything near the top. Nothing on the bottom except Moby Sheepdicks. Jet40s 10-15 back. Husky jerks 18-25 back. I'd have to assume they are walleye you're seeing.

When the cicadas were out in Southwest Ohio in 2004, the only thing you could catch a carp on was a cicada floating on top of the water. I even caught some channel cats that way. No telling what it is, but everything in that lake will take advantage of the free meal.

What kind of fish? Walleye?
    Quote Originally Posted by endangeredspecies View Post
    I caught a bunch of fish this past weekend pulling spoons and cranks straight through the center of the hordes of dead mayflies. Everything near the top. Nothing on the bottom except Moby Sheepdicks. Jet40s 10-15 back. Husky jerks 18-25 back. I'd have to assume they are walleye you're seeing.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Yes sir. My apologies for not specifying. 17 ft of water in front of the metzger pier. Huskys 60-75 back caught sheephead. Big big sheephead. 2 of the biggest ones I've ever caught. I was praying they were walleye when they sunk my boards! But no.... Started catching walleye dead center in the globs of mayflies running baits shallow and letting out another 60-75 ft for the boards.
    Got 6 with one throwback little guy. Like 6 inches.

Some of the biggest eyes, I have taken have been on topwater as a byproduct of bass fishing this time of year.Wouldn't surprise me at all that they are eyes! Maybe burning something near the surface might snatch a few?

Hate to say it but I have to agree with carp. Have seen it many times through the years thinking it was big game fish but realizing it was just carp feeding off the top.

I say carp

Drifting east of Kelleys, back in May I saw a large possibly 30 inch fish swimming near the surface about 10 meters from my boat. Looked way to slender for a Carp. No more than 5 mins later I pulled in a Fish Ohio eye. Coincidence? I think Not!!