leadcore and crankbaits? leadcore and crankbaits? leadcore and crankbaits? leadcore and crankbaits?

Default leadcore and crankbaits?

Hi guys I am new to the forum and have a few questions to ask about trolling crankbaits like reef runners and bomber long a. If I have a reef runner that will run 30 feet with the proper amount of line out and I want to go deeper using leadcore would how many colors would I have to add to get the bait to say 50 feet ? Will the crank bait affect the dive curve of the lure?

Quote Originally Posted by zipper View Post
    Hi guys I am new to the forum and have a few questions to ask about trolling crankbaits like reef runners and bomber long a. If I have a reef runner that will run 30 feet with the proper amount of line out and I want to go deeper using leadcore would how many colors would I have to add to get the bait to say 50 feet ? Will the crank bait affect the dive curve of the lure?
    Hey zipper, I have pondered the same question and tried to find an answer at several forum sites. All
    I found was best guesses. You would think adding 4 colors of lead core to the 100 of line (mono or braid) would do the trick ,
    but the angle of the curve would have to have some effect on the depth. I'm afraid that it would take some serious computer work or dragging that line combo in 50 feet of water till you hit bottom. Then you would know for sure. Please post your results if you ever get a true answer.

I'm having a hard time finding any information on it that I can understand lol. I need to get one of those precision trolling books but it's not in the budget right now.

Also is it true that if your running a lure that dives 30 feet with 200 out that if you add 1 Oz of weight it will get you down another 5 feet

I can tell you this much for sure, lead core is very speed/ current sensitive. Safe then to assume snap weights are also.

I generally run 5 colors of lead core off of planer boards on the right side and 6 colors on the left side until I get some action. Generally targeting suspended fish in 60-75 ft of water. With most marks occurring approx. 50 ft area. During July and August I troll around 2 mph with my kicker. This is my starting depths and they can be varied as you mark fish either higher or lower in the water column

First off what size leadcore are you talking? There are different #. I fish the east end from Buffalo to west of Dunkirk and use leadcore exclusively. 27# from 2color through 11color. I run 30# braided backer and 60' to 70' of 15' fluorocarbon leader. With a 100' of backer let out you run in 6 to 6.5 depth increment per color at 1.6-1.9 speed. 6'-harnesses, 6.5-shallow diving crank like a Renowski. The consensus is 5' per color but speed, what #?, type of (mono or braid) and how much backer? All have there difference. You add a deep diving crank to the equation? I would test like someone else suggested. The most important factor period...is knowing what depth your baits are running!

Reef Runner max depth.... unassisted... 10 lb test mono.. 1.5 speed 220 out is max 28 ft....
    so.... lead core at 5 ft per color... 4 colors adding 20ft... 220 out line 28 FOW / mono and lead core.../+4 color lead + 20 ft FOW should get you to 48 ft FOW

With a RR maxed at 28fow a 1oz snap weight 20' in front of the lure, Will make it dive 33% more of the original dive curve to a maximum of 37 28' + 9' in a perfect world,. same is true with all lures 33% of that lures dive curve ,1 oz. 20' in front of the lure . 10lb. Xt 1.5 not sure about braid ,it also changes the curve because it sinks unlike mono it is buoyant