electric knives electric knives electric knives electric knives
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: electric knives

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Wakina, which model American Angler do you have? I see the newer model is supposed to have 2X the torque as the previous models. I am thinking about buying the one that comes with 5 sets of blades called the pro kit. The reviews I've read are great and it is made with metal gears and a heavy duty motor!

Thanks for pointing me to the American made product!
    There is no name on it beyond American Angler, the numerical model number is 31600 0305. It has the 8" blade. I spray it with Pam or other no stick spray for blade lubrication during use.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I don't know about today's AA knives but when I bought mine the cheaper model was imported and the top of the line model was made in the USA. So I will research the cheaper model to be sure and post my findings. I will contact the company directly and post their answer. I do not want to mislead anyone on this issue. But according to their web page it appears that all models are now made in their AR plant.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

I bought the HD Rapala, for me that was a mistake. I used it twice while cleaning fish and had to switch back to older electrics to get the job done. Now it just sits in a bucket in the garage. I prefer the 10inch blades they sell, I have 3 different sharpeners, none do all that well. I've bought quite a few Mister Twisters over the years, for me the cheapest and actually work are the sunbeam $10 turkey knifes they sell at thanksgiving. When it comes to big walleye I prefer to have the 10 inch blades or go regular fillet knife. This method works pretty good when using a regular fillet knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyoK7...eature=related
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I had an American angler it was great lasted about 6 years then burned up, I purchased another one and it didn't have the power like the first one I purchased, it now sits in a bucket. It wasn't the same exact model.

Had a mister twister electric knife years ago and it burned up cleaning some big fish. Bought an American angler electric knife about right after and its still going strong, however still use the mister twister blades from the knife on it. I did buy a cordless Rapala Knife with the ion batteries on sale from gander mt this spring to use at the camper until electric gets turned on in May and i am quite pleased with it so far. I did buy the longer thinner blades for it though. I cut through 36 fish with it one day and 24 the next on one charge over Memorial day weekend.

Default Response from American Angler Knives

Response from American Angler Knives about where they are made at. I have removed my email address for security reasons.

"Pat Brewer ([email protected])

12:14 PM

To: XXXXXXXXX@XXXXXXXX
    Cc: April Noell

Yes the knives are made in our factory in Arkansas.
    Some of the internal parts are made in China.

Thanks,
    Pat Brewer
    Customer Service Rep
    DOUGLAS QUIKUT
    118 East Douglas Road" unquote
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

I bought one of the Rapala gander specials last year and it is definitely wearing down after a few hundred eyes and a couple sets of blades. Motor heats up a bit after 5-6 fish and if it gets wet (like you could keep it dry cleaning fish) you get a small shock every now and then. So I bought a Mister twister Piranha and it has performed very well so far this year on both eyes and perch, crappies, bluegills with the original blades so far, and the Rapala is left for my buddies when they forget their knife at home.

Default Knife Motor Hot Air Vents

When I first was instructed on how to clean walleyes I was given an American Angler model 31000 to use and keep. I learned why it was given away. It was ok for about 6 eyes but the motor fan blew the hot air fwd that vented into the palm of my hand and it got too hot to use. At a yard sale I bought a small tackle box for 50 cents for knives and blades storage and the seller insisted I take an American Angler knife model 31000 for free if I wanted the box. Both knives are now lenders to fellows who forgot their equipment. I bought a black & decker electric kitchen knife at a yard sale for $1.00 and it lasted 2 1/2 seasons. Thinking a $1 knife wouldn't last long but I liked the design, I had already purchased 5 more B&D electric knives @ Walmart for $9.99 as the total cost was about the price of a single high priced filet knife. Hot air blows out the cord end of the B&D knife and it is very comfortable to use. I have cleaned up to 29" eyes and it is slower going but does the job on big fish. This is the 3rd season for the 1st $9.99 B&D I purchased . This year Walmart has them at about $14.00. I clean about 200 eyes and 500 perch a season.

I don't know what brand of knife that he uses but Cutcher is cleaning fish with what appears to be a regular electric kitchen knife. He is in the business of cleaning fish so it must be somewhat dependable and durable. He probably cleans as many on a good weekend as any of use regular fishermen clean all season.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Wal-Mart Black & Decker kitchen electric knife $12.99. Buddy told us about it a few weeks ago and we love it - buzzes right through big Walleye. Had a Mister Twister and was buying replacement blades 2 to 3 times a season at $9-$10 a set. We are only weekend warriors. Our Buddy has had his for over a year and still as sharp as when he bought it and he cleans a lot more than us. Worth a try for $13!!!!! More expensive is not always better.