electric knives electric knives electric knives electric knives
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: electric knives

Default electric knives

I finally found a decent electric knife, its rapala's heavy duty model, runs off of 110 and doesn't come with a case or extra blades. It was 49.99 on sale at gander mountain. buzzes through the big fish in no time. i purchased the regular model rapala last year and it had trouble with big fish and would get hot. it got the job done but not like this heavy duty model. I don't work for rapala or gander mountain and do not get commission, I was just really impressed with this knife.

Thanks for the info, i have tried 3 or 4 different knives and am still searching, may give it a try.

Default elect knives

I beg to differ... I like Mr. Twister elect knives. $29 they are more flexible and replace blades are $10... my opinion

ive had mr twisters they work fine on the smaller walleyes and do an excellent job on perch, I burned up 2 on larger fish, I usually clean around 400 walleyes each year. I had this same post on ogf and one person replied that they buy the black and decker at wallmart for $13 and says they get the job done.

I'll wait to see how long the heavy duty lasts you, I am on the same page as you, I tried the regular Rapala that never did cut very well and died pretty fast and the Mister Twisters were terrible too, I also went through 2 of those. The best knife I have to date is the Hamilton Beech I confiscated from my wife. It was an older model and seems much better built than the junk they make today. She is still ticked at me for "borrowing" her knife and never returning it. That old thing has outlasted 3 that were supposed to be made to fillet fish!

I hope you are right about the Rapala Heavy Duty because I have a Gander Mountain gift card and that would be a good purchase.

Default wait

I'll also wait on hearing how it holds up. Burned up 2 Mister Twister's this year myself including the Saltwater Piranha they claim to be heavy duty. I will be sending them both in for replacements under warranty until I can find something of better quality.

guys i hate to say it but I have the best luck with the old fashioned equipment. Just keep a good edge on the old girl and she zips thru all size fish from bluegills to perch to walleye. just my opinion though. i have also been told i am a bit of a dinosaur about some things.

I am partial to American made Products whenever they are available as an alternative vs. imported. This also applies to the electric fillet knife. Here is a link to some history about the American Angler Electric Fillet Knives.

http://www.knifesupply.com/american_...et_knives.html

I admit that I do not clean fish all that often any more when Cutcher will do it for $1.00 each. But I still have my American Angler Electric Fillet Knife and if I was buying a new knife today it would be an American Angler. Mine is 10+ years old and it is still going strong, it does heat up some after doing 10 or 12 eater size eyes and after 2 or 3 of the bigger 6lb+ or more eyes. But then again I am still using the original set of blades that came with it. I had burned up all of the other imported makes of fillet knives before buying American but my American Angler still gets the job done after all these years. In fact it had outlasted all of the others knives combined and that was prior to me taking most of my eyes to the cleaners.

Here is a link to the companies products!

http://www.douglasquikut.com/Default.asp
    Last edited by wakina; 07-07-2014 at 06:02 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I've had a heavy duty since early last year and it still things strong. I run the 9" blades. It will heat up after around 15 or 16 straight fish depending on their size. If they are all big it will heat up after a dozen fish, but it runs much faster than the regular knife. I've maybe cleaned around 400 fish or so... guessing

Default American Angler Pro Kit

Wakina, which model American Angler do you have? I see the newer model is supposed to have 2X the torque as the previous models. I am thinking about buying the one that comes with 5 sets of blades called the pro kit. The reviews I've read are great and it is made with metal gears and a heavy duty motor!

Thanks for pointing me to the American made product!