Who owns a Sportcraft HARDTOP 252/250 Fisherman INBOARD on this site? Who owns a Sportcraft HARDTOP 252/250 Fisherman INBOARD on this site? Who owns a Sportcraft HARDTOP 252/250 Fisherman INBOARD on this site? Who owns a Sportcraft HARDTOP 252/250 Fisherman INBOARD on this site?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeerieguy View Post
    states 8.6 beam .no matter how many hours still checkout the stringers and transom as I know of 3 newer models that needed both replaced even though the boat looked brand new. The 305 in it will give you no better fuel consuption then the 350 as it will run at higher RPM then the 350 at the same speed . Nice boats for sure but will need major work in the next few years if the work has not been done yet as any Sporty owner will tell you .

Good Luck

http://toledo.craigslist.org/boa/4027778152.html
    Thats where I got the pic from.
    It's All About the Journey NOT the Destination!!!

"I FIND THE FISH I ALWAYS FIND THE FISH"!!!

1994 Sportcraft Hard top 250 Fisherman

Default 250 sporty

Still picking your days will be needed with this boat . Heading straight out the channel with the wind blowing head on in 3fters, you will take a few waves over the bow with the 305 in it due the time it will take the boat to get up on plane . My buddy had an 86 250 and its still a rough ride in 3ft plus chop.

Good Luck

PS . Watch your head walking under the hardtop if your over 6ft tall . It hurts like hell
    Last edited by Lakeerieguy; 09-12-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeerieguy View Post
    Still picking your days will be needed with this boat . Heading straight out the channel with the wind blowing head on in 3fters, you will take a few waves over the bow with the 305 in it due the time it will take the boat to get up on plane . My buddy had an 86 250 and its still a rough ride in 3ft plus chop.

Good Luck
    Thanks for your time Lakeerieguy!

rack storage is good but does not mean threre is not any rot. we just fixed the transom on a four winns deck boat that had been rack stored its whole life in MI. this was an inboard/outboard though....but it was slowly leaking around the gimbal housing and the whole rear was gone. and to be totally honest I would think unless its already been fixed. most boats made before the mid 90s more than likely have some rot somewhere they are near or over 20years old that's a long time to ask the wood to hold up

I'm running an 88 250 offshore with the 305 I/O the only time I've ever really seen it struggle to plane out was with 6 people on board and 120 gal. Of fuel in the tank, other than that mine seems like it has enough power for a 5500 lb. boat, I've never topped it out but it'll run about 25mph at 3400rpm give or take depending on weight...... As for the fuel well either way its still a v8 : / ill use any where from 15 - 25 gal of fuel depending how far I run.

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    rack storage is good but does not mean threre is not any rot. we just fixed the transom on a four winns deck boat that had been rack stored its whole life in MI. this was an inboard/outboard though....but it was slowly leaking around the gimbal housing and the whole rear was gone. and to be totally honest I would think unless its already been fixed. most boats made before the mid 90s more than likely have some rot somewhere they are near or over 20years old that's a long time to ask the wood to hold up
    She will be inspected!

Teaser PIC!

Default Sport T Craft

I fish with my brother in his 1987 25ft Sportcraft convertible. He bought it new and has kept it in great shape. Runs like new with only minor cosmetic issues. Does real good on the lake in up to 3-5 footers. However, if he did it again he would have bought the 27ft hardtop with IO drive. I agreed. I usually drive his boat when we go fishing and the single screw inboard can make for some interesting times when docking in the marina in a strong wind.

Attachment 1199
    Last edited by Drdave; 09-13-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Default 252

I run a Sport 252 with a Volvo Penta 5.0FL. My boat will run 20 knots at 3600 rpm. WOT is 4600 RPM so getting the boat on plane at anytime is not a problem for me. It has a SX outdrive and runs really well. No need to duck you head on a 250 though, only on the 252's. The 250 is not a step down. In my opinion, in the 25' class, the Sportcraft rides better than any other. Ever see a 25' baha cruiser in 3' or 4' waves? BOBBER!

Here is a pic of mine. I could not be happier with its performance.

sounds like the 305 in these might be geared enough to work well based on the other ppl that have them. the teaser pic does look nice. is the carpet snap in or not. carpet and minows can make a mess.

dad had a Thompson 25 ft hardtop when we were growning up. it sure was nice to get out of the rain and waves and the cold. I know some ppl use propane heater under them. I know some ppl who have installed like a car heater core and run the water line and a fan to make a car style heater.

dads Thompson would contain so much air under the hardtop it would drift at just over 1 to 1.5 mph some days. could almost troll from it. lol and depending on which window you opened up in the front and how much you could kinda control direction too.