Perch Setup Perch Setup Perch Setup Perch Setup

Thread: Perch Setup

Default Perch Setup

I remember this was asked before but couldn't find the post. I'm considering putting a perch setup together. Was thinking a light or ultra light rod, fast or extra fast action so the tip would be fairly stiff. Not sure what length. Will probably spool up a reel with some light braid so I don't get any stretch. Any input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rkfet View Post
    I remember this was asked before but couldn't find the post. I'm considering putting a perch setup together. Was thinking a light or ultra light rod, fast or extra fast action so the tip would be fairly stiff. Not sure what length. Will probably spool up a reel with some light braid so I don't get any stretch. Any input would be appreciated.
    It sure sounds like you have the basics well covered. I would also recommend using Aberdeen hooks as the finer wire makes for faster more sure hook sets than a bait keeper style hook does.

To me rod and reel choice is secondary to using braid and Aberdeen style hooks. Some hook types would be Tru-Turn, Eagle Claw and BearPaw. Some with blades and some without. Myself I very seldom if ever use snelled hooks with the tiny blades and or beads but there are others that swear by them and still others that try both to see what works on any given day. I have switched my perch rods over to the Falcon BuCoo series model BCS-UL-15. With an ultra lite spinning reel spooled with left over braid from filling my trolling reels, over kill, most likely but I am using what is already bought and just set my drag like it is 8lb line instead of 30lb line.

http://falconrods.com/bucoo.html
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Hey Wakina, wasn't you doing a little experimenting with a submerged light for perch? How did that work out?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Wheezer View Post
    Hey Wakina, wasn't you doing a little experimenting with a submerged light for perch? How did that work out?
    I won't leave home without it! I feel the light works. Several times since I started using it, we caught fish in the same area over approximately the same time frame as friends that only caught 1/2 as many as my wife and myself. Yes, I definitely feel it helped. I use a green light but have been told by a fisheries biologist that a blue light would probably be the better choice, trouble is blue is hard to find.

When the perch are biting I really do not think it is needed, but if it slows down and also at the start of the day to get them started, I think it is a definate plus.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-14-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

I would second wakinas light. I have only used it twice but I tried putting lines off front of the boat and dropped the light off the back. Never caught hardly any fish up front. I think it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    It sure sounds like you have the basics well covered. I would also recommend using Aberdeen hooks as the finer wire makes for faster more sure hook sets than a bait keeper style hook does.

To me rod and reel choice is secondary to using braid and Aberdeen style hooks. Some hook types would be Tru-Turn, Eagle Claw and BearPaw. Some with blades and some without. Myself I very seldom if ever use snelled hooks with the tiny blades and or beads but there are others that swear by them and still others that try both to see what works on any given day. I have switched my perch rods over to the Falcon BuCoo series model BCS-UL-15. With an ultra lite spinning reel spooled with left over braid from filling my trolling reels, over kill, most likely but I am using what is already bought and just set my drag like it is 8lb line instead of 30lb line.

http://falconrods.com/bucoo.html
    Thanks. I almost always use the Aberdeen hooks myself. I was mostly curious about the rod selection. I remembered some quote where someone said "You can feel a perch fart with that." That's what I want!!!http://community.walleye.com/images/smilies/wink.png

Quote Originally Posted by rkfet View Post
    Thanks. I almost always use the Aberdeen hooks myself. I was mostly curious about the rod selection. I remembered some quote where someone said "You can feel a perch fart with that." That's what I want!!!http://community.walleye.com/images/smilies/wink.png

I said that a year or so ago, but it is true as compared to Mono line. The learning curve involves learning not to set the hook as hard as you would with mono line, more of a lifting action or a flicking of the wrist type hookset. At that time I was using a medium action rod with stiff tip. Got a Falcon BuCoo UL as a gift and liked it so well that I got a second one. The weight difference alone makes using the UL more enjoyable, especially on slow days.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-15-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Nothing better than a 10 lb walleye or a big ole sheepshead on an ultralight, oh boy, some fun there!!