Quote Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Last week while trolling @ 1.5 mph I was running P10 50' of line out, add 1oz snap weight and another 66' of line out. According to PTD the 1oz gets me down 20' and the P10 will run 8' deep with 50' of line out so my lure was @ 28'. We were generally in 30' of water and only hit bottom when we got into water less than 25'.
Is it accurate to add the depth of the snap weight to the lure depth? The %'s I am reading here seem way too shallow.
I'm sorry I left a component out. I attach my weight 6' ahead of my lure with a rubber band. That way I just leave the weight on the line no need to stop reeling and take a snap weight off. I learned this system from Jim Stedke who I consider to be one of the better crankbait fishermen on Lake Erie. As previously stated speed and direction of travel all play a part in depth. Waves will also play a part as the planer board surges in the waves the bait will move up and down in the water column I think that helps trigger bites. Weighted systems have a lot variables so you can never be 100% accurate.