Question for Casters? Question for Casters? Question for Casters? Question for Casters?

Default Question for Casters?

For all those who go out and cast for walleye, what setup and technique seems to work best for ya? Last weekend was my 1st time walleye fishing on the lake and I'm trying to get the hang of it. We were using Erie Deeries tipped with crawlers. Is there a better setup? Also, how long do you typically wait after casting to retrieve? Thanks for any information.

-Mike

In regards to your question about how long you should wait before retrieving! Use your sonar/fish finder to determine how deep the fish are then make your cast and count it down as such~~ fish marked at 15 ft, once you cast and lure hits the water mentally start counting down 1 one thousand 2 one thousand until you reach 15 then start your retrieve. You may have to experiment with your count down with both speed of count and number until you get a bite then try to duplicate those countdown methods that produced the bite. Weight of lure will also have an effect on how fast the lure sinks so you would have to adjust your count accordingly.

Since everyone will count at different speeds there is one thing you can do to help yourself out if one is catching and you are not and that is to watch the other person catching the fish and when they make a cast start your countdown when the lure hits the water just like you had made the cast yourself continue counting until the person catching the fish starts their retrieve. Now duplicate what the one catching fish is doing using your number of counts, this will put you real close(within +/= a count or 2 to the proper depth that is producing fish.

There are several variations of casting lures, Wt forward lures such as Erie Dearies, nuggets, casting harnesses and weapons.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by fishNtails View Post
    For all those who go out and cast for walleye, what setup and technique seems to work best for ya? Last weekend was my 1st time walleye fishing on the lake and I'm trying to get the hang of it. We were using Erie Deeries tipped with crawlers. Is there a better setup? Also, how long do you typically wait after casting to retrieve? Thanks for any information.

-Mike
    I make casting weapons and harnesses and sell them send me your address I send a couple of my favorite ones free of charge use the count down method and play the swing start high and work your way down the water I cast with 1 and drag bottom with the other with a bottom bouncer ill use a 4 ounce bouncer on the leeway side of the boat just watch it while you cast. of course youll need to change weight according to wave height but I stay heavy and this method works better with a chop we troll on calm days
    Last edited by rscotfish; 07-28-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rscotfish View Post
    I make casting weapons and harnesses and sell them send me your address I send a couple of my favorite ones free of charge use the count down method and play the swing start high and work your way down the water I cast with 1 and drag bottom with the other with a bottom bouncer ill use a 4 ounce bouncer on the leeway side of the boat just watch it while you cast. of course youll need to change weight according to wave height but I stay heavy and this method works better with a chop we troll on calm days
    Hey thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. So is there a general count down rule for depth, such as 1 second per foot? I was using a 5/8oz Erie Deerie. Also, what do you mean by play the swing? Is that casting in the direction of the drift and letting it swing around?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fishNtails View Post

-Mike
    While Erie Dearies have been a popular bait for years and have caught a bazillion walleyes, I don't often use them anymore. Instead I use a casting harness that I make myself. Snip off a 25" length of 20# fluorocarbon and tie on a #2 Gamakatsu baitholder or octopus hook with a snell knot. Slide on 5 6mm beads and then a #3 Colorado blade on a #2 folded clevis. Gold and hammered brass are my favorites. Put on one more bead and then tie a double knot loop at the end of the leader trapping another bead in the loop. Push the loop through an egg sinker (half an ounce for shallower water or three quarters for deeper). Then attach a medium size barrel swivel. Tie it to your line with an improved clinch knot and you are ready to go. Use no more than an inch or so of night crawler on the hook. More will do you no good. I once caught a limit of walleyes on one and a half night crawlers. How deep to fish depends of course on how deep the fish are. Keep in mind that you should keep your bait above the fish. You have to find that level. I fish mostly on shoals and reefs in the Summer, so I avoid letting my bait settle to the bottom. It can get hung up or the line can be abraided on the rocks . (Not to mention a catfish swallowing it out of sight). Make a dead slow retrieve and be aware of any change in tension. Walleyes are light biters and many times you won't feel much at all. When in doubt, set the hook. Like always, the hardest part is finding the fish, but if you drag this bait past a hungry walleye, he'll eat it.

Hi Defernaut: Can you post a picture of your rig? I have been trolling for a few years now and just don't care for it. Sure you catch fish, but it's not as intimate as holding the rod, reeling, casting, counting, feeling for the bit and setting the hook! I'm going to go back to the late 80's and 90's when I was usually got out fished by those who knew what they were doing! I was new to OH then from Northern MN where we fished Lindy Rigs. Had a hard time converting to weight forward lures.

FishNtails you just spent big bucks on your new boat, I suggest you spend a little more and get the right equipment to fish lake Erie the right way. There are times when you need to troll. I don't find trolling to be great fun either but you need to incorporate it in to your arsenal. The 80,s are over and they are not coming back bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Fish View Post
    Hi Defernaut: Can you post a picture of your rig? I have been trolling for a few years now and just don't care for it. Sure you catch fish, but it's not as intimate as holding the rod, reeling, casting, counting, feeling for the bit and setting the hook! I'm going to go back to the late 80's and 90's when I was usually got out fished by those who knew what they were doing! I was new to OH then from Northern MN where we fished Lindy Rigs. Had a hard time converting to weight forward lures.
    I would post a photo if the rig but I haven't a clue how to do that. It's no fun being techno challenged. Sorry.

fishNtails - check your in box