Shiner bucket temp Shiner bucket temp Shiner bucket temp Shiner bucket temp
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by daleho10 View Post
    We just caught 5 limits in 2 hours using emerald shiners cut in half. How important is live minnows?

If I have them in the live well I will always use the dead ones first as they are much easier to catch and put on the hook. If their color has changed I toss the dead ones over board that have faded from the fresh look into the decaying look. My live well pump cycles every 3 minutes and replaces about 1/3 of the water each cycle. I still prefer the minnows in the bag trick to the live well though.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Take at least 2 bags with you. Put a couple of dozen in a bag and keep on top of the ice for easy access for bait while fishing and then bury the other bag with the rest of the shiners completely within the ice with only the top of the bag(s) sticking out of the ice for easy recovery. Adjust the number of minnows in the bait bag accordingly with the rate of the bite. The colder they are the longer they last. The minnows on the top of the pile in the bait bag will be the first to go bad. If that happens either wash out the bait bag or change it as the slime from the bad minnows will do the same to the good ones.
    That is the voice of experience. Can't agree more. I usually try to put the bag of minnows between two bags of ice when starting out... Then like Wakina said, make sure that you cover the bag with ice with the top sticking out. I use 1 Gallon size bags and don't put more than 6 scoops in each one. Basically, you don't want a large mass of minnows at the middle of the bag so that the center ones can't get cold.

The guy that said that when you go East that is what you see... The first time we saw this was on a charter out of the Cleveland area that we were on and the old timer did this. I haven't had a live minnow on the boat since, for some reason though I do take live shiners when we go ice fishing, and now I am truly wondering why?

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    Ok Matt, you don't know what you are talking about! I don't want to disappoint, but I am trying that out next trip. Too many yea's not to. ty
    Ha! Thanks! I feel better now.

-Matt