Pictures of different worm harnesses Pictures of different worm harnesses Pictures of different worm harnesses Pictures of different worm harnesses
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Great questions! Don't hesitate to ask anything.

Typically when talking about worm harnesses and 60" leaders, they are referring to a 60" mono line with swivels on each end.

Personally I use braided line with a swivel on the end, then snap on a True Trip Diver, then a 60" Mono Leader, then a worm harness or spoon... etc...

The leader is that long for several reasons, but mainly to give distance between my diver and my lure. Sometimes we put weights in line, then the leader... Depends on the lure and the fish.They also give some "shock" absorption when running braided line. Although 60" doesn't tend to lead to a lot of shock absorption...

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by endangeredspecies View Post
    Short leaders for casting? Long leaders for trolling? How long would you recommend for each type of fishing? Drifting, casting, trolling etc. And when you say 60" leader, you are tying your harness to 60" of "something" and the rod end is attached to another swivel?
    For me, trolling, I've tried quite a few ways of making harnesses, I ended up going back to using #17 mono, around 5ft long, 2 hooks. Some with hook spacing at 1" when using on bottom bouncers run at/near bottom. Cut the worm into thirds so only about 1/2" of the crawler hangs past the back hook. This helps with the bait stealers but still catches walleye. My other ones are around a 3" spacing between the hooks. Both of these can be used trolling or drifting.
    How many beads? depends on the size of the beads and mostly the size of the blade you are going to use.
    For casting, I use what is referred to "the weapon". I shorten my harnesses to around 16". Place a small bead into the new loop you are going to tye when shortening the harness. Push the new loop thru an egg sinker ( 1/2 to 3/4 depending) The bead stops the egg sinker from sliding down the harness.

I use pool noodles to wind up and store my harnesses on. Not for flotation.
    As far as Jann's, I stopped buying there many years ago due to some shipping practices they use.
    Last edited by ebijack; 05-15-2016 at 05:57 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Default Great Information Wakina.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I thought maybe some of you might be interested in the following material. The Hatchet blade falls at the same spot on the chart as the Tomahawk blade. I have never had a problem with the Hatchet Blades at speeds up to 2.2 SOG. On the hard wire they do not twist the leader like the would if the harness was 60" long and actually made on the leader and all one pc.

http://www.lineonfishing.com/index.p...50-blade-types
    What size / gauge wire do you use. Galvanized, Stainless, uncoated? Do you just get it a Lowes or the Hardware store?

Thanks for all of your help all of the time.

I just want to thank you all for sharing your pics and knowledge of Lake Erie Western Basin.I only get up to the big lake a couple of weeks a year,so i don't have a lot to post about.But I do follow along every day to learn from you.With your help it has really expanded my personal knowledge of this great sport.Again thank you all for being the most unselfish ,reliable folks on this great planet.Good luck and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    What size / gauge wire do you use. Galvanized, Stainless, uncoated? Do you just get it a Lowes or the Hardware store?

Thanks for all of your help all of the time.
    These are the ones that I use. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-lu...ts/320608.aspx I use the 4" .030 they are stainless steel. I have posted the link to Janns Netcraft only because it shows the picture for reference. I am not advocating that you should buy from them, that type of wire form is available from several different vendors and you should make your own choice as to which vendor to buy from. With that being said I do buy and use their wire forms. Any thing bigger than .035 wire and they become almost to hard/stiff to get a nice clean eye on the final twist.

I don't like the quick change clevis, http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/quick-c...es/313109.aspx to many lost blades, so I use the stirrup clevis in size 3 or 4, http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-clevises/320907.aspx , and in a pinch use the size 4 folded clevis, http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/folded-...es/320914.aspx . It is better to have the clevis one size to big than one size to small because the blade needs room to move away from the shaft to work properly and to not twist leaders if it stops or spins intermittently, it must spin freely all the time to avoid tackle problems.

I make up several with the blade color/pattern that I want then switch out the harness instead of using the quick change clevis and just switching blades. Changing the bead, blade assembly with the short harnesses is actually quicker than changing just the blade and since they store easy and in less space they take up less room than 20 standard harnesses do wrapped on pool noodles.

On Edit: I forgot to mention that one of the most important components, and they go on the leaders, are the swivels and swivel snaps/snap swivels. Use a high quality stainless ball bearing swivel and snap swivel on your leaders and you will avoid most if not all twisted leaders. The higher the quality the better.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-15-2016 at 09:08 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

ive been running these on my harnesses for the last 2 season without any problems. I tried Janns style and lost blades every trip. I ran into a guy from Wisconsin at cabelas and he was buying a bunch for a walleye tourney he was fishing on Erie and he recommended them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/E-Z-C...ge%26CQ_st%3Db

Since the subject is on harnesses are there any special -hot color blades I should have in my arsenal? .all replies will be gracefully excepted! Also where they might be purchased THANKS UP FRONT!
    Last edited by Frank; 05-15-2016 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to finish what I started ,older age I guess lol!

Is there any harm in using a small treble hook on the end instead of 2 single hooks. Also are most ppl using only 1 spinner or 2. It might have been said. But what hook size. 2s, 4s. One of each

I use a size 2 single the number 4 treble for the last hook on some of my snells. I also use them and with 2 single hooks both size 2. I can't see a difference between the two. They are equally effective.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-15-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by endangeredspecies View Post
    Looking for pictures of different worm harnesses and what each is used for.
    I found a very good Crawler Harness made by Captain Randy at Bays Edge that caugh a lot of Walleye last year. I just bought 25 more when I was there a few weeks ago. I normally tie my own but these are not much money and really work. I also bought, way too many, Custom Blades by Tommy Harris. He has so many great patterns I couldn't help myself I use Colorado blades early and Willow blades later when the water warms. I also use two Willow blades in June.