Jigging During Spawning Season Jigging During Spawning Season Jigging During Spawning Season Jigging During Spawning Season
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Jigging During Spawning Season

I would like to try jigging during spawning season this year. I am thinking of the reefs west of Middle Bass, maybe Niagara. Can anyone give me some insight on this type of fishing, tactics, gear, etc? I have only trolled these waters in the past, but heard the spawn bite is really fun.

WELL start with jigs.. 5/8 or to 3/4 oz to stay in contact with the bottom. hair jigs some days and some days you need to add a minnow. I use a 6-7fr stiff rod with 10# braid so can feel the jig hit the bottom. Short lifts works for me (12" to 18" ) then a slow drop back down some days it is a fast lift then drop. just like in the (D) river. Just when something feels different then hit it. It will be a walleye!! some days the bite is hard and no ?? fish on and some days not..
    I also take a box of blade baits in case the fish want something moving a little faster. PURPLE , BRIGHT GREEN, ORANGE ALL GOOD COLORS
    I hope to hit the reefs myself this weekend.

GOOD LUCK
    Steelydann

Here are my basics, 3/4 oz. hair jigs in black, purple and JD green with stinger hook, always take minnows to tip your jig, but you don't always need them. Drift sock to keep you drift at .6mph or less. Always keep your jig on a tight line going down because most hits come on the fall. Any increase in weight when lifting, set the hook. Vary your jig rhythm until you find what is working that day. Pause at the top, no pause, and always touch the bottom with each downstroke.
    I use 10# braid and I don't use a leader, but I know some people prefer a leader. I also prefer a 6' med/fast, high quality rod.

when the jig bite gets in full swing the shallow water 10-14 ft will also be good...crane creek to davis besse...i think L can k can are the inside range markers

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman 2 View Post
    when the jig bite gets in full swing the shallow water 10-14 ft will also be good...crane creek to davis besse...i think L can k can are the inside range markers
    I'm coming from Central Iowa April 2-8th for the Jig bite hope were not too late with this crazy weather this year! Any insight on the time were coming should we be ok barring weather/winds?

Quote Originally Posted by Eye Con View Post
    I'm coming from Central Iowa April 2-8th for the Jig bite hope were not too late with this crazy weather this year! Any insight on the time were coming should we be ok barring weather/winds?

Don't live in the area… but learned through a ton of help from others on this site last year - your timing is fine. I had plans for the same time period last year and had to scratch them for a week later because all four days we were going to be there, forecast showed essentially un-fishable conditions - at least for the average john doe in his own boat. Came back the next week, and when ever the wind settled down, I could jig fish. I ended up trolling more just because of the conditions. Weather is your only factor in early April, my opinion….
    Last edited by cycleguy; 03-03-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye Con View Post
    I agree with cycleguy, timing should be fine. And more tha likely better than coming in March.

later April has been better. Many are still in the rivers early April. We are headed up tomorrow and going to try trolling (sunday)

Mid to late April is probably the hottest jig fishing. Water is warmer and the fish are way more aggressive. Early April the fish are more concentrated but could be a bit slow moving with colder water temps.

Quote Originally Posted by MageeEast View Post
    Mid to late April is probably the hottest jig fishing. Water is warmer and the fish are way more aggressive. Early April the fish are more concentrated but could be a bit slow moving with colder water temps.
    not what i wanted to hear for when i'm coming out cant really change the trip at this point with people's work and such but going out with my dad's buddy with 30+ years fishing on western basin lake erie in that area so hopefully that helps!