New to trolling New to trolling New to trolling New to trolling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to trolling

Default New to trolling

If I am not catching fish but I can see other boats around catching fish, do I: A. Adjust my speed and by how much, B. Adjust my how far back I am running my Reef Runners with braided line?
    Thank you

Well, Yes to both. LOL

I had the same issues when I was trying to figure out the trolling thing. It is not an exact science for sure but one thing that helped me besides reading all the posts here. BINOCULARS... When I would see all the boats around me catching it would drive me nuts... SO I got a good pair of binoculars so I could see the type of baits they were catching them on and color..

Some days trolling Reef runners, sometimes bandits, bottom bouncers ETC. But I have found that if you can dial in on a color it can really help no matter what the bait...

Also, If I am out by my self I start by Stacking the baits every 5 or 10 feet. Early in the morning or with cloud cover. I like to start at 25 35 45 ft back on one side and 30 40 50 on the other.. As the sun comes up and or the boat traffic picks up. I start setting them out farther so they will run deeper. Once I get onto a pattern, IE 45 ft on a fruit dot bandit. I will put more lures at 45 back and put atleast 1 more fruitdot bandit on...

Also. As for speed.. I sometimes run slight s-turns. The baits on the outside of the turn run faster and the inside run slower. SO if i catch on the out side lines. I will speed up my straight trolls and slow if i start catching on the inside..

I am no expert for sure but it makes you feel good when you start figuring it out....

3 main factors to consider, speed, color, depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxclutch View Post
    Also, If I am out by my self I start by Stacking the baits every 5 or 10 feet. Early in the morning or with cloud cover. I like to start at 25 35 45 ft back on one side and 30 40 50 on the other..
    So, when you're out trolling by yourself......you admit to running 4 lines over the limit that you are allowed? Am I reading that right?

You do know, that you are only allowed 2 lines per person in Ohio, right?
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Blog Entries

You also need to make sure your reel counters are calibrated if there not that makes a difference in how far your lures are down

Another tool to use is your marine radio. Usually there are a few people willing to share what is working for them. Channel 79 has alot of traffic.
    Last edited by Old Wheezer; 05-07-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    So, when you're out trolling by yourself......you admit to running 4 lines over the limit that you are allowed? Am I reading that right?

You do know, that you are only allowed 2 lines per person in Ohio, right?
    Sorry Capt. Juls, I know the limit of lines per person and I abide by the rules.. I guess I should have said that a little differently.. If I am by MY self. I set both lines on the Port side and I start at 25 or 35.. When I have my friends with me. We set them up like posted...

I was actually checked by DNR last year. I was north of West sister and I was alone in my boat. I had 2 poles in the water on boards but 4 others poles were in the holders on the other side of the boat. I am sure it looked like I was running more lines that I was. They did a safety check and license and sent me on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by PDnaz View Post
    3 main factors to consider, speed, color, depth.
    If you are running any sort of crank baits I'd add tuning your baits....especially Reef Runners to this list. Even a little bit out of tune will cause your baits to run higher and on their sides. A lot out of tune will cause them to do barrel rolls behind your boards.

The delivery captain who went over things with me when I got my boat was also a charter captain. He suggested to me that for simplicity sake, that I just learn to use Reef Runners all season long. He said you can do well with these crank baits and you will not have to switch to spoons and/or spinners and add the diving planers. Thoughts on this please?

Lucky duck seams like the day everyone was catching was a several weeks ago by Kcan.From the reports I read and how we did there with limits on both days we fished, most were using bandits.The reefrunners do better when the water warms.They dive deeper and have a more action on their movement,but are also harder to tune.I disagree with that charter captain about only running RR.I think easiest and most productive to troll is a worm harness.As for a way to get them down,we have been using offshore tadpoles#2 for past 3 seasons with great success.Were you using inline boards on those RR or long lining your troll?Alot of info on this site,so keep reading the threads and will learn Alot.